2014. August 9 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN, United States

Discussion in '2014 August September October - USA' started by Marcel, Jul 12, 2014.

1. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Hope he plays Gulls as last one!!

2. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

is this longest encore ever? wow

wolfie and John like this.
  3. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Yeah! This encore is incredible - and incredible long. Guinness world records calling?? :D

wolfie likes this.
  4. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

- VIDEO LINK -

That's called a setlist:

#1: Birds of the High Arctic
    #2: Girl Like You (Updated)
    #3: The Incredible
    #4: Snow In Vegas
    #5: Back in the World
    #6: My Oh My (It seems that the "Jagger" comes out in David on his "old days" ^^)
    #7: Sail Away (little jam in the end)
    #8: Kathleen (WOOOOHOO Kathleen!!! Neith! One of my favourite songs from DTL)
    #9: Nemesis -> Laughing Gas !!! (Great Jokes by David as Keith's Drums ran away :D :D :D )
    #10: Nemesis (OMG! THAT VERSION IS A BLAAAAAAAAAST!!!! HELL YEAH! Or should I say HEAVEN YEAH!! :D AND: with my favourite ending of this song!! It could not be better! John Smith and David Kitt rocked it!)
    #11: As the Crow Flies
    #12: Mutineers (THIS SONG IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! A bit underrated - or is'nt it??)
    #13: FUGITIVE! (Missed this in London - great to hear it there !! John Smith got better on this song! Well done!)
    #14: Silver Lining! (Updated)
    #15: Please Forgive Me (Clune who? ^^ )

Encore:

#16: Babylon (Solo)
    #17: This Years Love
    #18: Last Summer
    #19: ALIBI!!!
    #20: The One I Love

2 hours and 4 minutes played. Awesome performance!! Need to work in two hours - It's 6 am here.. but it was absolutely worth it!

- Awesome and incredible Lightshow!! Well done.
    -High Quality Sound!
    -No snoaring and David at his best
    -Keith *_* !!
    -Great audience! Standing ovations after the first song.
    - John and David rocked it! My doubts are deleted now. Nemesis was sooo great - beneath all the others!

I wish all a nice Sunday ;)

By the way: Let us please start a petition for a Mutineers Live DVD!!! I mean it would be even worth for its design - possibly :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    wolfie and cdcase like this.
  5. cdcase

cdcase Member Grayhead

Magical night!!!

Sent from meeemy iPhfone using rhTapatalkrnreeysseeexxedenpjghsdeewqtnr tyrermawrltryy

RosalieEP likes this.
  6. Saintsfan

Saintsfan Member Grayhead

Wasn't going to watch, was going to try to wait until after he plays here in Sept, but of course got up this am, read the set list, and couldn't help myself. Some technical glitch prevented watching from the beginning from the link above (https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/david-gray) and it started with As The Crow Flies - but the bits I've watched so far are as amazing as we all know DG can be live... just takes everything to another dimension.

7. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Same here.. They play it without a "tool-bar" - so its starts somewhere for ecample in the mid.. Weird! But it's no problem as I guess ;)

8. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

So does this mean we can all post reviews? :D

John likes this.
  9. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

10. Dave

Dave Member Grayhead

Did anyone mange to capture the audio separately

11. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Can't navigate the concert to go to favorite songs. BTW, anyone know what the hilarity during Silver Lining was about?

12. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

I'm working on it.

(And please if someone else is working on it, keep having at it!!) I'm missing some tracks due to a fault within the stream... Also, Was BITW mixed improperly??

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    cdcase, Dave and John like this.
  13. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

David was so full of energy-this show was a blast. David was in great spirits after the show. A group of girls had him sign a huge inflatable pirate - that was different. I had a great seat but didn't spot myself on the broadcast even thought I was a twinkling star.

VickiC likes this.
  14. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

This thread is great - I loved reading everyone's comments as you watched the show online together. Smiled the whole read through! I am listening to/watching the replay now and the show was even better than it seemed in person. For some reason my replay started with Nemesis and my internet here is spotty but I'm loving it. Since everyone watched it no need for a concert report but I just want to add a few thoughts to what's been said.

First, John Smith and David Kitt were both superb during their opening sets. Each got the opportunity to perform (individually) and you could tell they were both thrilled to be on that stage. Such an honor for them and they each rose to the occasion. Congrats to them!

The Ryman really is a special venue. Sometimes you walk into a venue and you just know, even before the show starts, that it's going to be a special night. Last night was one of those nights. Second time seeing DG there and hopefully not my last. Beautiful, unique, magical venue.

Many musical highlights for me. I was thrilled to get to hear Bids of the High Arctic live again. I think maybe this one alone is worth the price of admission for me. David's comment before Snow in Vegas that it "definitely has a bit of country in it..." cracked me up. Nemesis just floored me. I love that ending. Total punch to the gut. Perfection. It was so strange when everyone realized Keith had gone missing but it was all handled so well that it was no biggie. It was so hard to sit for Fugitive. Lots of chair dancing going on there. The ending to Silver Lining was totally unexpected and interesting. I loved it. On our feet for PFM. I have been missing that one live but I didn't realize just how much until I was hearing it, dancing to it, clapping along with it and living it last night. PFM has always been one of my favorite live songs and always will be. Great song, great fun. The encore was epic and highlighted for me by the sublime Alibi and the rocking The One I Love to close it out.

So very grateful I was able attend this show. Great crowd (loved the people in my row - they were into it!), electric atmosphere, exploding energy from DG and the band. These DG shows just keep getting better and better and for what DG, the band and the crew are delivering I send out a massive and heartfelt thank you!!

Teemto, RosalieEP, VickiC and 2 others like this.
  15. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

That has not surprised me - I mean Nashville is THE Singer and Songwriter spot on earth - nothing goes over it. As John Smith twittered: "Leaving Nashville hurts. Sometimes you know that you could really live a good life in a place." Reading that hurts me too. Sadly they did not uploaded or stream their performances as well - would be so great to see!

And I think David made this possible for this "youngsters" in business too, because if you make it as songwriter in Nashville, you make it in the whole US and possibly international too..

It's always special with you all - even if you are on the other side of the world ! <3 Hopefully there will be another stream sometime in the future :) And hearing it "live" is so different from hearing it now..

BTW: nice review @wolfie

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    cdcase and wolfie like this.
  16. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Oh wow, I had not seen that tweet from John yet. I know what you mean when you say that reading that hurts you too. He was terrific last night. During his set people's cell phones started making noises due to the weather warnings and he didn't miss a beat. I was so happy for him and David Kitt last night.

John, I knew you'd be up all night to watch this live. You know I think it's awesome. I can't tell you how much I loved reading all the live comments from you and everyone else. And YES, another live stream would be great!

John likes this.
  17. VickiC

VickiC Active Grayhead

I think it was that he sang the wrong lyrics right at the beginning and it cracked him up.

What a great night! I don't think I slept much at all last night. I also loved John saying that he and David Kitt decided to split the opening at the Ryman so they'd have a story for the grandchildren one day. You could tell everyone loved playing there. I loved being there. So happy to have seen some awesome Grayheads and getting to rock it out next to @wolfie all night :D

I tried to watch the stream and all I saw was him sitting down at the piano, saying "Hello, Nashville," then the screen went blank and said "Thanks for watching." :( Maybe it will be fixed tomorrow...

wolfie likes this.
  18. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

I've gotten a hold on everything except for three tracks.
    The time is now to set them free!! (in a PM format, and it starts with you).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    John, VickiC and cdcase like this.
  19. indeediwill

indeediwill New Grayhead

Epic show indeed!! Totally worth every second of the 11 hour drive from Dallas to get there. Just got back. :wtf:

JackieJo and RosalieEP like this.
  20. Birdie

Birdie Member Grayhead

Yahoo said the show should go online for watching it later. Does anyone have a link to that???!!!???:confused:

Love, Birdie