2014. Feb 05 + 06 + 07 London Emmanuel Centre

Discussion in '2014 February UK' started by Rena, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Dado Rock Whirirk

Dado Rock Whirirk New Grayhead

Wonderful. Just wonderful. Awesome sound in the Centre. And agree with Teemto My Oh My was out of this world. New songs sounded pretty special as well...

Sent from my imagination..anything could happen

2. Raymond

Raymond Member Grayhead

What a great night in such an unique venue!! Nice to saw some more Dutchies at the door :)

We were lucky to get spoken to Robbie and David afterwards :) the album is planned for May/June and a American tour as well in the summer. Later this year probably an European tour (David even mentioned Paradiso, Netherlands haha) if album sells go well enough.

For now good night and will try to write a review very soon.

My oh my...:rolleyes:

Eileen, Simon, nevermind and 3 others like this.
  3. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

Looking forward to hearing more. thanks for the update! Good job getting to chat with David and Robbie.

Eileen likes this.
  4. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Ok I'm home, having a cup of tea and still awake so i'll try and express some thoughts:

As always DG was superb. The energy was there, his voice was on form. However it was obvious that the gig was "letting off some steam" for him i.e. definitely not structured like an album tour would be.
    Unfortunately I think this let it down slightly.

Before you all start pointing fingers, yes i know the album is coming soon and these gigs are merely (expanded) build-up.... but on the face of the show I thought the set was average in places;

The new songs (at the start of the set) - fantastic. The system and band that DG had on show tonight created such an atmosphere within these songs and they definitely shone (Incredible was one I hadn't heard prior to the gig and thought it was brill).

The gems -
    Flame / sea and Laughing Gas (!!) were all amazing. DG and Robbie nailed flame and the band were great with the other two songs.. The extra backing singers give these songs so much more presence.

Dust! After all the down-play he gives this song I actually get to witness it live.. what are the chances? This is one close to my heart BUT.. I feel it lacked Neill's input. Unfortunately I had a similar feeling with Kathleen - the band did not suit the songs.

Dancing with both feet - My absolute fave from the new material i've seen on youtube.. but what.on.earth is Lisa doing in this one? I love her in Kathleen (in fact preferred over the singer in the studio version) but in my opinion she ruins it. In general the (current) band don't add to this one, much much prefer DG solo here (and in that sense i'm not sure the song quite agrees with all his other material)

Nemesis on the other hand was fantastic - this new playing style of the band adapted brilliantly to the song; it's the whole psychedelic, dream world that the band conjures which makes me really look forward to the album tour because maybe they will have clicked a bit more with their approach and song choice by then.

TYL was beautiful, i've been screaming out for Caroline to join in (since DTL tours) and finally she comes back into the fray. Lovely.

Sail was accomplished very well - the band changed this one up a bit (although should have been played earlier..) and Babylon was funny (he forgot the lyrics) but it was a very "standard" encore...

Lastly,

MY OH MY

This version was out of this world. Seriously. Hands down best song of the night (and I think one of the best performances I've seen by him) and it showed the band's potential - IF ONLY they could of worked on one or two other songs to fit the set in the same way.. this is my only complaint (and hopefully you've got the jist..)

Right ok off to bed now and hopefully change my tune in the morning.. really just wanted to rant.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    ak11, thefox, Eileen and 4 others like this.
  5. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

It was a great concert and a lovely venue.
    Only 20 minutes walk from Trafalgar Square past Downing Street.
    The people who looked after the show were friendly, efficient and helpful and a bottle of wine which you could take to your seat was only £15!
    The highlights for me were Gulls and Skellig from the new songs and Shiine. Dancing with both feet, TOIL and Flame of the older ones.
    If he hadn't restarted Babylon, I think he may have fitted another song into the encore.
    Lisa was good also. Well worth making the effort to get there for 730.
    Enjoy Thursday and Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevermind, RosalieEP and Elysium like this.
  6. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

I know way, way too long, I'm so excited I can't stop smiling, see you tomorrow, or make that later today x :)

7. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Fantastic, thanks wolfie, this has got me so excited for the gig, hope to see you in London x

8. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Thanks for the super quick wonderful reviews, what a perfect setlist, I seriously can't wait now, in 12 hours time I should be in London, yipee.
    It is almost 2am and I have to get up at 5am and I cannot sleep a wink, but I can't take the smile off my face either, gotta feeling this is gonna be special.
    Thanks again guys for the reviews, really appreciate them.
    Hope to see many of you.........later today xx:):):):D

9. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Thank you all so much for the speedy reviews and the setlists. So great to wake up to that.

Such gems on the setlist. I can't wait to hear it all myself later tonight.

xx

Sheiladen likes this.
  10. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

11. Kari

Kari Member Grayhead

Thank you everyone for the reviews so far and set list. As always it sounded like a magical night. I can't stop listening to Gulls tonight. What a beautiful piece of music. Makes me all teary eyed hehe.
    Safe trip tomorrow everyone and enjoy the show! We are patiently waiting our turn here in Seattle. Eileen and I are ready to travel xxx

nevermind likes this.
  12. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Elysium, so happy for you that you are making it to London. Safe travels! I hope I get to see you, too. :)

I was hoping everyone else would jump in with reviews and you did! Teemto, much appreciate your frank take on things. I may not agree with all but thank you for sharing your thoughts. I find that David usually plays it safe the first night and sort of ups things from there. No surprises on the setlist and that surprised me a bit (especially given his facebook post looking for requests) but, again, I think that was a first night thing. I honestly wasn't sure what the band composition would be and was pleased to see it was exactly as in Ireland.

Thanks, again, for all the thoughts on the show. To everyone going tonight - enjoy!!

Kari likes this.
  13. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Yeah everyone going tonight and tomorrow hope you enjoy it! Just a remark on seats:

If you are either blocks A or E, row 2 or 3 and seats 3-6 then (given they keep the same stage setup.. Which is likely), your view will be obstructed. Make yourself aware to stewards as soon as you think you've been short-changed with seating.

I went from the front to the back because I couldn't see the stage. Thankfully DG was excellent but I must admit it did affect my night (maybe contributing to my critical review)

14. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

Oh no, we're you blocked by the harmonium or some structure in the room?

15. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

Great to hear your thoughts, Teemto. Hope someone captured My Oh My.

16. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

I bet the set list stays pretty much the same for all three with the typical slice and dice of a song or two...........while the first gig blues are true it is ireland so surprising he came out a little soft. the distractions of all really may have played a role after all - here's to a hoppin next two shows :)

bummer on the venue - was wondering a) about the "round" and b) what type of venue would have the capacity for a three night run at such late notice?! hope all are able to resolve

lol on lisa teems......well done ;)

17. Helen_Can

Helen_Can Member Grayhead

"The One I Love" Youtube video from London was posted an hour ago... :)

Kari and RosalieEP like this.
  18. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

The seating is more like in a half-round, I guess. Lovely venue - sound is great. I was wondering about sections A & E - what a bummer, Teemto. Agree, dca, about the setlist staying pretty much the same (it usually does except for a few changes, usually in the solo section). Not sure what you mean about Ireland - I guess you mean London?? Weather is ghastly today so looking for a pick-me-up tonight. :singing:

19. Sadheart

Sadheart New Grayhead

:)Booked into hotel. Only a short walk to venue. Not seen Mr Gray since the Southbank show so really looking forward to tonight.

Kari and RosalieEP like this.
  20. Helen_Can

Helen_Can Member Grayhead

Have a blast, Sadheart!!! Your heart will NOT be sad tonight, you lucky dog!!!!! ;)