2014. June 23 - Symphony Hall - Birmingham, United Kingdom

Discussion in '2014 June/July - UK and Ireland' started by Rena, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Everything about the 2014. June 23 - Symphony Hall - Birmingham, United Kingdom gig can be shared in here.

2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I have seen David perform in this very venue at least twice already. This place comes with excellent accoustics.

Actually Birmingham was the first place I have ever travelled to for DG. A concert I will never forget. That was the NIA though. The Symphony Hall is so much nicer.

Anyone else going?

nevermind likes this.
  3. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

I'll be there as well! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rena likes this.
  4. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

A few tickets are still available from ticketmaster. For this gig they even offer a seating chart to chose your seats from. You need to be quick though.

5. nevermind

The band is now rehearsing the 3. day! Great to see they have fun! Reagan's tweet from today:

[​IMG]
    John Smith, Emily Grove and Reagan Richards!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Today's the day!

We are in Birmingham already and getting really excited. There is nothing like a first concert on a new tour. I can't wait to hear those great new songs being performed live on stage.

Kari, jan and nevermind like this.
  7. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

This is where the magic is going to take place tonight.

[​IMG]

Here is the view from the hotel room. The Symphony Hall is on the right. And the tour bus and lorry are right at the back door. Yay.

[​IMG]

carmel59, jan and nevermind like this.
  8. WhereIfall2013

WhereIfall2013 Member Grayhead

looking forward to hearing your show report Rena!

which shows are going to on this tour? I'm at Royal Albert Hall tomorrow night.

9. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Have a wonderful evening! I can't wait to hear all about it!

10. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

What a fantastic show. The music was incredible. The new songs live just blew me away. The rearrangement of well known songs was surprising and so well done. More tomorrow!

Thanks to the lady who let me take a picture of her setlist:

[​IMG]

Nighty night friends.

@WhereIFall The only other show I am going to will be the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow. So see you there!

davidcotyalex, Kari, jan and 3 others like this.
  11. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Rena, thanks for posting the setlist - it's a good one! I especially like seeing Other Side and PFM on there. So glad you finally got to hear everything live. Safe travels and have a great time in London tomorrow night.

Rena, davidcotyalex and Kari like this.
  12. RosalieEP

Great! So glad it was a good one!

Rena likes this.
  13. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

I hope someone captures that PFM swagger!!

Kari likes this.
  14. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

other side???? **** me

15. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

What a wonderful concert. I loved how David and the band challenged the audience by complex arrangements that added layers and layers of music and resulted in a musical experience that was beyond the usual expectations. Very very good. Food for thought and the ears.

My personal favourites of the night were the beautiful Gulls and of course Birds of the High Arctic. Last Summer is one of my favourites from the album and even better live. Wow. As the Crow Flies was so challenging. That fantastic band at their best. And very unlike anything you will ever hear on the radio.

I was happy to see The Other Side back on the playlist. And what a great new ending. Generally all of the well known songs played last night received a make over and sounded fresh and new.

Just because I do not mention a song here does not mean it wasn't amazing. All of them blew me away. There was an incredible energy in that venue last night. I had to think of DJK when everyone in the audience happily got up for Please Forgive Me and remained standing for yet another beautiful rendition of Nemesis.

David was bursting with energy, his great band was outstanding. It was great to see Tim, Rob and Keith on stage again; they were excellent. Caroline and the new band members were adding so much to it all.

We go to lots of gigs but David Gray and his band are so much better than anyone else. Very very impressive.

Btw Ain't No Love was not played despite being on the playlist.

And David Kitt did a real good job as the support act of the night.

I hope everyone gets a chance to catch them on this tour somewhere. The good news is - the tour book says 2014/2015 on the cover :)

16. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

What's babs

17. nevermind

Have a guess :)

JackieJo likes this.
  18. nevermind

What a night! David's first concert of the new tour was outstanding! From the start with the beautiful Gulls to the brilliant new arranged The Other Side, the powerful Girl like You and the haunting Birds of the High Arctic this band showed everything most of the other bands will never get: soulful power! :) What a great band!
    I loved each and every song they played, especially the new ones!
    David Kitt was a nice surprise to me as well. His solo performance was so good and his guitar playing as a member of David's band was wonderful!
    Looking forward to the concert at the RAH in London!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

KirstenH, carmel59, wolfie and 2 others like this.
  19. RosalieEP

I love everything you wrote, but this part is my favorite! :D

John, nevermind and Rena like this.
  20. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

I saw it and assumed it was Babylon. I hope I'm right!

Rena and Nevermind, thank you both for your reports. I am so glad you had a great night and loved everything. Not that I had any doubts you would! :) I hope The Other Side and PFM make the trip to the US in August. And, yes, that 2014/2015 on the tour book is good news indeed!

nevermind likes this.