2014. June 24 - Royal Albert Hall - London, United Kingdom

Discussion in '2014 June/July - UK and Ireland' started by Rena, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Everything about the 2014. June 24 - Royal Albert Hall - London, United Kingdom gig can be shared in here.

2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I am so excited for this gig. The Royal Albert Hall is a venue unlike any other. Just look at the architecture and the interior.

In 2008 DJK and I saw David perform there for a charity event. He threw away his setlist right at the beginning of the gig and improvised from there. His solo acoustic version of Song To The Siren is something that will stay with me for a lifetime. Brilliant.

And afterwards DJK and I got locked up in Hyde Park until London police rescued us after a few hours. So take my advice folks - do not plan on crossing through Hyde Park after the gig. You will get in but not out again. At least not easily :)

I am so looking forward to this gig. How about a nice preshow meetup? Originally I would have thought early dinner and drinks would be nice but with the World Cup match starting at 5 pm maybe we should just meet up a little earlier and then watch the game together in a nice pub nearby the venue.

Any suggestions from those who know their way around the RAH?

3. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Just checked ticketmaster and this one seems to be sold out as there are no tickets available anymore.

4. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

5. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

If you recommend it it should be good . After all you are the king of pubs if there is one . And to those who haven't met Dave - I mean this in a 100% positive way.

A twenty minutes walk or a taxi would be fine with me.

JackieJo likes this.
  6. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

I will go to the concert too.
    I'm lucky enough that nevermind made this possible to me! THANKS!!
    My second DG concert will be in the ROYAL ALBERT HALL. I always wanted to go in there, but I've never believed, that it will be for a concert of DG.. WOW!!
    I would love to get to know you all before the gig. Maybe David will join us ?? :joyful:

I live there in a hotel a mile from the hyde park. So I can walk to the RAH easily. And even a walk to the pub seems like a cats jump... :D I think it would be a great round :)

I'm looking forward to the concert and the new album!!
    Can't wait!!!

John

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  7. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Hi John,

I am glad that Nevermind's spare ticket has found a good home. The Royal Albert Hall is a special venue so I am sure you will enjoy your second DG gig even more. Where and when was your first?

Closer to the date we will organize a nice pre show meetup. Meeting other DG fans has always been a huge part of the travelling for David Gray experience for me :)

So looking forward to seeing you all there!

Best
    Rena

8. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Hi,
    that sounds great! My first gig was in cologne, 2010, draw the line tour. With 15 :D
    Genious show! The show was longer then 2 hours. All big hits were played. For me, as a fresh grayhead, it was a great step into his world.
    Since then he never came close enough for me.. Zermatt was too expensive.. :(
    London is perfect!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Cologne 2010. I remember that well. We could hear the sound check while queueing outside.

The Royal Albert Hall and that venue on the outskirts of Cologne in the convention centre area can't be compared. You will love this.

15 is a great age to start seeing DG perform. We have quite a few members here who started at such a young age :)

John and Marcel like this.
  10. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Caren for mentioning me here too :p

nevermind, Rena and Elysium like this.
  11. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

I am so looking forward to this gig, can't wait, will be great to meet with other Grayheads.

:)

John and nevermind like this.
  12. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

13. nevermind

Gray to Grey :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Anyone have their seats yet? (From dg.com)

15. daveeliver

Hi
    I received notification about 2 weeks ago.
    Tickets are to be picked up at RAH on day of the concert.
    Row 5, but I think to the side.
    Hope a few of us can meet up sometime before or after the concert in South Kensington.
    England playing Costa Rica at 5pm may cause a problem.
    I'll suggest a few places early in June

John likes this.
  16. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

ah yes! Thanks for the reply Daveeliver I re-checked my email and found the confirmation.
    Excited now :D

jan likes this.
  17. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@daveeliver Do you have some suggestions? Would be great to meet you all :)
    Can't wait.. but the time is running, a good thing :D I'm sooooo excited for this gig.

18. daveeliver

Hi John,
    Great minds think alike....
    Returned from a short break on Monday and started thinking about The Royal Albert Hall.
    As mentioned above, the Anglesea Arms is a good pub that serves decent food.
    Unfortunately England are playing Costa Rica at 5pm that night and many pubs will be busy.
    The Anglesea is advertising football but not the England match.
    I'll phone a few pubs and see what they suggest and then I'll post a few suggestions on this thread and see what people attending the concert want.
    I'm staying in South Kensington and the bar at my hotel, may be an idea, or an afternoon snack/drink and let people make their own plans for the football and concert.
    Give me a few days.
    Fortunately Germany are not playing on the same night!!
    The world cup final is on at the same night and time as a Neil Young concert in Liverpool.
    I have tickets ( not for the world cup final!!!)

nevermind and John like this.
  19. nevermind

Hi @daveeliver liver and @John! I'll be fine with every s place you'll find for our pre concert meeting! Looking forward to seeing you guys in London!

20. daveeliver

Hi All,
    Not long before the show at The Royal Albert Hall, and I know we're all looking forward to it.
    I'm off to see Mr. Dylan this Tuesday, and if I survive Dublin, I'll be ready for London.

If anybody has other ideas regarding meeting up in London, please feel free to make a few suggestions or even take over the organising.
    I only know a few (but special people) on this forum and I'm sure there are others out there who may know what people want better than me.

I arrive in London at 1pm on Tuesday;
    I should be checked into my hotel by 2ish and I think we have 3 choices.
    (Remembering that we have to pick up our tickets from The Royal Albert Hall prior to the concert)

1...I have spoken to the manager of The Anglesea Arms, and he is happy to look after us.
    They serve food from 6pm, but we could sit in the dining area from 5 and have a drink and chat, away from the football which will be shown in another part of the pub.
    http://www.metropolitanpubcompany.com/our-pubs/the-anglesea-arms/

We could order our food which should be served promptly and give us chance to get to The Royal Albert Hall before John Smith starts;
    it's a 20 minute walk

2.. We could meet in Soho, loads of pubs and restaurants and have a few beers and choose somewhere to eat.

For a pub in Soho, I love the famous French House

http://www.frenchhousesoho.com/
    I've had decent and not expensive meals in The Cote Restaurant. A chain but it's ok and as I say there are many choices.

http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/index.html

3.. I'm staying with my grandaughter at The Premier Inn, South Kensington, and the Premier Inns, have a bar and restaurant.
    Once again a 20 minute walk from the RAH.
    I doubt whether it will be too noisy.

I don't think there will be many people joining us, but let me know what your thoughts are, and I'll make more concrete plans.

Take care all, see you soon
    Dave

John and nevermind like this.