2014. June 24 - Royal Albert Hall - London, United Kingdom

Discussion in '2014 June/July - UK and Ireland' started by Rena, Apr 5, 2014.

1. WhereIfall2013

WhereIfall2013 Member Grayhead

Here is that full review article from the Times -

*Four stars*
    That David Gray is mightily proud of Mutineers, his new album, released next week, was obvious from the excitement with which he introduced its songs, the joy with which he sang them and the gusto with which he performed key parts on guitar and piano. That he had assembled a crack band, bunched tightly around him, and was aided by a striking light show reflected how carefully he had considered unveiling his first new material in four years.
    And hearing those songs, who could blame him? Mutineers marks a musical reinvention for the 46-year-old who found fame a decade and a half ago with his fourth album White Ladder, which sold 7 million copies. Swapping sombre singer-songwriter fare for multilayered harmony-backed tracks cloaked in lush electronics provided by Lamb’s Andy Barlow has reinvigorated Gray: his vocals are lighter, his lyrics happier.
    On record, those changes are far less dramatic than they were live. Here the music danced around the smiley singer, the backing vocals were choir-like and extended outros recalled Elbow at their most euphoric. Lines of lyrics were hypnotically repeated, choruses soared, perky percussion accompanied shimmering sounds. A couple of fluffed intros didn’t detract from the fact that all ten twinkling new tracks were truly magical.
    The problem was, well, that there were ten of them, of which seven in a row opened the show. By the fourth, frustrated fans were requesting more familiar material. A defensive Gray explained that “a slab of new stuff” was coming first. Still they shouted out for old favourites.
    Four of those arrived mid-show and six provided a stonking singalong ending and encore, including an acoustic Babylon, a sumptuous This Year’s Love and a gorgeous Please Forgive Me. To some the skewed set list was bold; to others it was selfish. Had Gray mixed old and new material more, he could have kept everyone happy.
    June 26, Sage, Gateshead ; June 30, Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow ; July 2, Barbican, York ; July 3, Lowry, Salford

nevermind and jan like this.
  2. WhereIfall2013

WhereIfall2013 Member Grayhead

Another review from the Independent -

David Gray, Royal Albert Hall, gig review: ‘It’s good to have him back’
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Gray 'soars like the proverbial bird'

So many established musicians chicken out of playing new material that it’s refreshing to catch David Gray front-loading his two-hour set with seven songs from the sublime Mutineers, his tenth studio album.
    He starts off at the piano with “Gulls”, building from a minimalist motif and mantras intoned by his seven-piece band, until he soars like the proverbial bird. You don’t mind when he repeats the same trick with “The Incredible”, worthy of Van Morrison in his Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart pomp.
    Gray grew up on the Pembrokeshire coast and is much given to avian metaphors with “As The Crow Flies” reflecting the personal and sonic quest he embarked on with producer/programmer Andy Barlow of trip-hop duo Lamb, whose brief was to take him out his comfort zone, facilitating a mutiny against the singer-songwriter genre he helped reinvent with White Ladder 15 years ago.
    The chamber ensemble ambience of “Last Summer” and the pointillist touches of “A Girl Like You” place Mutineers in a tradition reaching back to Erik Satie, and taking in Miles Davis’s Kind Of Blue, Talk Talk’s Spirit Of Eden and The Blue Nile. Gray never tries the patience of his audience who listens intently even if he nervously jokes about “the good stuff” to come.
    Indeed, the banging “Please Forgive Me” turns the venue into something of a rave, while “Babylon” and “This Year’s Love” rekindle many a memory. It’s good to have him “Back In The World”.

nevermind and jan like this.
  3. jan

jan Member Grayhead

quote from the Times review:
    "the fact that all ten twinkling new tracks were truly magical.
    The problem was, well, that there were ten of them, of which seven in a row opened the show. By the fourth, frustrated fans were requesting more familiar material. A defensive Gray explained that “a slab of new stuff” was coming first.
    Still they shouted out for old favourites.

Four of those arrived mid-show and six provided a stonking singalong ending and encore, including an acoustic Babylon, a sumptuous This Year’s Love and a gorgeous Please Forgive Me. To some the skewed set list was bold; to others it was selfish. Had Gray mixed old and new material more, he could have kept everyone happy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

quote from the Independent review:

"So many established musicians chicken out of playing new material that it’s refreshing to catch David Gray front-loading his two-hour set with seven songs from the sublime Mutineers, his tenth studio album. (...) Gray never tries the patience of his audience who listens intently even if he nervously jokes about “the good stuff” to come.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL... gotta love the contradiction of opinion....
    in the end... it usually comes down to "damned if he does...damned if he dont" ..
    which is why he just does what he wants... lol

thanks for sharing the reviews WhereIFall

nevermind, wolfie and RosalieEP like this.
  4. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Hey Folks,

I am missing this part of the party ! All sounds very good and looking forward to catching two shows later on in the tour..;)
    Would love to hear other side again too, excellent..

All the best from southern Portugal :snaphappy:

jan and John like this.
  5. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

David singing Babylon.
    The most polite camera police I've encountered, stopped many photos being take, though I don't take many myself.

Attached Files:

nevermind, jan and RosalieEP like this.
  6. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Nice to see David related to such great artists like Erik Satie, Miles Davies, Talk Talk and The Blue Nile! :)

Rena and WhereIfall2013 like this.
  7. cdcase

cdcase Member Grayhead

I saw a classical concert at the RAH in March when I toured England. I would love to see a DG show there. Has to be the most iconic London venue, right?

I can hear the 80s influence in David's music.

Sent from meeemy iPhfone using rhTapatalkrnreeysseeexxedenpjghsdeewqtnr tyrermawrltryy

8. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Being literally right next door to Imperial College, some were quite surprised when I said I'd never been to the RAH before. However ever since I started studying there (finished now!) this was my dream. David Gray at the Royal Albert Hall.

I've often heard people relate it to a Tardis and I can now see why... it's huge once you're inside!

So sitting down just in-time for the support act I was like - wait a minute, this guy seems familiar. It was indeed John Smith. The same dude supporting DG at my first ever gig! (2009)
    But tbh I could barely remember him from that gig. He was pretty good... although I think his style of music didn't involve much flair. "Winter" I really enjoyed though.

The main act was pretty good too :p I'm so happy he went full force with the new material like he did in the states; shows how confident and proud he is of his new music. Most of them I'd seen on youtube, apart from a couple: Last Summer and As the Crow Flies. I believe Last Summer is the hidden gem on this album and in fact with all the new music there's so much to think about! Nevermind was telling me before the show how "layered" the music is and I believe if you start thinking about in this way it's quite easy to be more impressed :D. Definitely Agree.

Here comes the shameful bit; when DG released the track Back In The World on youtube I was glad for the new, bouncy material but it didn't hit me.. and I wasn't fussed.
    Oh boy I was wrong about this one, ..it could be my favourite on the album! Such a fantastic amount of energy surging through this song.

That being said, on Tuesday night the band were on form. Every single musician giving it his/her all and nobody's contributions going unnoticed. I loved the guitar duelling between John Smith and David Kit. Feisty.

After the new material (which the audience loved) he first apologised for keeping us waiting and proceeded to the hits..... not sure why he apologised but then the whole place started rocking!

My Oh My was fantastic. The same version that blew me away in January. Great to see it in the set.
    TOIL was so good! It's been ages since DG has had that baritone guitar out and I've sorely missed it, he rocked the walls with this one and.....

PFM!!!!!!!

<3

Clune who?! Keith was bossing this one! It was his song!

Then came The Otherside?! Holy s***, JUMPING JESUS. I never expected that. It was brilliant too - the band giving their signature twist on the song. In general I think DG's new music (and band) lends itself more to "slow-buildup" and he's obviously taken advantage of it by changing these old classics like My Oh My and The Otherside.

Babylon was lovely and so was TYL. The pace and hype just kept building and building... He finished the night with Nemesis.

I love this version of the song but tbh at the time I was 100% convinced he was going to end with some cheesey dancey song (wait, how many of these did he have left? lol).... people from the crowd kept shouting Be Mine and I honestly believed he was going to indulge them.

How wrong I was. By this point my mind had already been torn in so many directions; blown apart by the new material and The Otherside. Sadly I could not fully appreciate this performance of Nemesis and I think it should of perhaps been earlier in the set. However I've looked back on it since and it's still a fantastic evolution by his new band. He's been playing this song for 5 years and it's still constantly changing! An impressive feat.

On to Manchester for me now, where I've convinced my brother to go along! :D Told him he's in for a treat and I doubt many of you would disagree.

Kari, JackieJo, KirstenH and 6 others like this.
  9. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Thank you so much for that review, Teemto! Loving it. August can't come soon enough! So glad I am hitting more than one show this tour.

And yes on Keith. I don't know about this tour yet, of course, but echoing what others have said about the album, the drums are so impressive. Keith's a star.

10. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Yes. Yes. And Yes!!!!

11. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Teemto, what a fantastic review!!

12. nevermind

John, carmel59 and Rena like this.
  13. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Great pic !

And thanks to @Teemto for the review :D

14. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Nice reviews! A big thank you to all, it was really nice to meet you all (for the first time!) ! Great show!!!! I'm busy at the moment (finished school, work etc...), but I will manage to write my personal review of this special show as soon as possible. And I need to think about it a bit..

To make you jealous: I'm the guy in the first row on the last seat on the left side, @Elysium sit beside me wearing that red garment, John Smith and Robbie right in front :rolleyes: :)

More great information will follow.

Special evening, special David, special John Smith, special venue, special city, special pre gig David Gray forum celebration and special special...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  15. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Yeah I recognised myself too John, what an amazing gig, I will get round to writing a review one this one, haven't had time since I got home and wanted to take time and think about it all, just like you, as this gig was just something else.
    Of the 3 gigs I attended this was the special one.
    :)

John and nevermind like this.
  16. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

What could be better than finishing school successfully, heading to London then for three days instantly and meeting Mr David Gray before his gig, attending his gig and a pre-concert david gray forum meeting with a group of nice groupies??

Nothing.

I will start chronological:

Meeting Mr Gray: The soundcheck was from 2 until 5. The whole band came at about 2 o'clock and was splitted into two groups, which were using two different entries. That's why I thought that I had missed him.:eek: It was hard to overview both entries and all bandmembers.. I was really exhausted of the day before and nearly 35 degrees! But no - David Gray came then around 3:15 o'clock. I had luck: I saw his tour-manager, not knowing that it was his tour-manager, and he was speaking with someone (Mr Gray) at the other site of the hall through his smartphone and said that he will go around. Then he started running. I followed him then and followed my instinct and inspiration :D I walked right in the back of his manager and then went straight to David Gray and said "Hi, I'm John", a short handshaking later and Trevor his tour-manager took some great photographs of David and me. Then I gave David a special application request in form of a handwritten letter (he has not answered yet :(:sorry: ). I hope he doesn't think I'm a stalker or something alike. He asked if I will join the concert - I said "I will attend with @Rena and @nevermind, a short grin came on his face and he said "I hope you're going to enjoy the show" and "It was nice to meet you", I could not thank him and Trevor enough, they were in hurry.. the soundcheck was waiting.

gdgsgddsg.jpg
    Jup, that's me ;) I dressed me up specially for him (Joke! That's my normal dress :D - but it's indeed a bit David Gray inspired) :D

The pre-concert david gray forum meeting:
    @daveeliver invited us into a great, really british pub where we ate and drank a bit, and talked a bit over this and that and started to know each other. It was nice there with you all!! @daveeliver thank you for the coffe! It was so nice to meet a real british gentleman ;) On the short walk to the RAH I got @nevermind's spare ticket for the concert...

The RAH and concert: HOLY COW!! I got a first row ticket!! THANK YOU @nevermind !! In front of me were the speakers. David Gray left of me, Robbie and John Smith right in Front. I had a good seat - and a good sight. @Elysium sat beside me (you missed JOHN SMITH :bawling:). The RAH is such a great and special venue. I was in different ballet and theatre venues in Saint Petersburg, Russia - but they were not such beautiful and special as the RAH. I think everyone who was there can understand that.

John Smith: I did not know John Smith before. He was absolutely stunning! His whole presence, his two-coloured beard, his dress, HIS VOICE only supported by the martin guitar in this venue... WOW! He played really great songs! I bought his new record "Great Lakes" with his autograph afterwards (he is a really friendly guy!!) and can highly recommend it! For those who have not heard into it: DO IT!!
    "Winter", "Salty and Sweet" and "From Town to Town" are in my mind.

David Gray: punctuality has a name: David Gray! :D

I will follow now the setlist and mention here my thoughts to every song (but he played them in another order, when I remember it right):

1. Gulls: WOW! That opening! The first piano chords were so mighty - they dragged me down!
    2. The Incredible: One of #myfavouritemutineerssongs! Incredible. No going home tonight!! I hope so!!
    3. Cake: I'm hungry! Don’t know the meaning of!! Nice little story of cakes and husbands, as I guess :D
    4. Back in the World: My song!! Great lyrics. School done = Back in the World!! YEAH! First Song of the record everyone seemed to know..
    5. As the Crow Flies: One of #myfavouritemutineerssongs! OH ****! THE LYRICS! My head! Music with no limit! It's all in my head...
    6. Mutineers: Mutineers is the new *hit! :D The band was so into it, as they were in Stella the Artist during the DTL-Tour! It was fun to see, how they rocked it!
    7. Last Summer: The end! This cello! Please never end! Like a dream...
    8. My Oh My: HOLY COW! A new dress :eek: It takes a lot of love, it takes a lot of love MY OH MY !!!! ♥♥ It hit me unexpected, because I did'nt heard the version before. The crowd got in mood!
    9. Sail Away: Old and gold! New dress - it has a bit of a river and sea on a boat with seamen flavour...
    10. Kathleen: My heart was melting! David and the adorable Niamh! Favourite Song! #leftmebreathless
    11. Ain't No Love: Great as always! The intro is really great.
    12. Birds of the High Arctic: One of #myfavouritemutineerssongs! Just WOW! Pure perfection! They nailed it!
    13. Beautiful Agony: It's allright! The studio version is great, but it's not my favourite one.. and live?? The full force knocked me sideways!
    14. Girl Like You: One of #myfavouritemutineerssongs! The Lyrics are really genious! WOW.. Nearly my favourite of the favourites. I felt the process - working on it! Just great.
    15. The One I Love: Oh. The show is going to it's end - but YEHAA, at least now everyone got involved. Dancing, clapping - here and there some singing ..
    16: Please Forgive Me: WHAAAAT?? DANCING! STANDING OVATIONS - All! No one were sitting anymore. The mood was good. In the end with a funny piano lesson for Niamh given by David with a duett on the piano to end it with a funny note.. WOW!! Absolute greatness!
    17: Otherside: Another oldie that sounds completly new. The start seemed familiar, but the end... I can't describe it.. But it was so nice.
    18: Babylon: SOLO, oh *uck David - that voice with only a martin :bawling: There is no better way to get songs by hearing them solo. Everyone was singing.
    19: This Years Love: Melting crowd..
    20: Nemesis: THE END. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! But these endings are the best of all. NEMESIS!! The new band was genious. This song is a dream.

Fresh air! Great evening in London.. Everything had closed. :D
    I bought the new record of John Smith #autographed and we had a small talk. He is a really nice person. I can recommend highly to go to his concert and listen to his records! Also the Mutineers Tour Book is a must have !! Great stories telled by David of making the record and songs and some interviews with the band, furthermore the sources of inspiration of David and and and... I noticed too late, that the Mutineers tourshirt is a v-neck shirt.. Not that nice as a normal. But everyone has a different style ;) :D

The best of the #2 concerts I attended. As I wrote before:
    Special evening, special David, special John Smith, special venue, special city, special pre gig David Gray forum celebration and special special!!!

BUT WHERE IS NEILL MACCOLL?? The new band is just great! But there were some, for songs like Nemesis or the in London unplayed Fugitive, essential guitar solos that were lost! Sadly. He is one - or maybe the best guitar player I listened to for a while. :bored: John Smith and David Kitt did it so well..

Thank you all again!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    Rena, Marcel, nevermind and 3 others like this.
  17. Dave

Dave Member Grayhead

There MUST be a DVD from this tour

Rena, John and WhereIfall2013 like this.
  18. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Review finished.

@Dave: Yes, I hope they will make a DVD from this tour. David is really on the top of all and back in the world. His performances now are so great and magical and he is fully satisfied with his work from toe to top! A DVD would be so perfect!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  19. nevermind

Thanks for the great review, @John! :)

John likes this.
  20. Saintsfan

Saintsfan Member Grayhead

Now I really can't wait for September !!! I have tried so hard to stay away from reading about the recent concerts until I knew I was actually going to be at one of the shows this time. I was feeling very sorry for myself that I might not get a chance, but now with fall tickets purchased I am free to fantasize - and this review helped a lot in that regard!!

John and RosalieEP like this.