2014. June 30 - Royal Concert Hall - Glasgow, United Kingdom

Discussion in '2014 June/July - UK and Ireland' started by Rena, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Everything about the 2014. June 30 - Royal Concert Hall - Glasgow, United Kingdom gig can be shared in here.

2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

3. tony

tony Active Grayhead

so if no one else goes, i'll probably go north.... behind the wall....

ak11 likes this.
  4. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Tony, are you still going to this show?? If so, safe travels and I hope you have a wonderful time. That goes for anyone else going to Glasgow, too - enjoy!!

5. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

What Wolfie has said. Have a wonderful time Tony and everyone. Safe travels!

nevermind likes this.
  6. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Enjoy the gig tonight folks, and don't forget to come back right here and tell us all about it :D

Cheers

7. Illuminate

Illuminate New Grayhead

Excited for tonight but sadly my partner is unable to go tonight so I'm travelling up alone. Is anyone from here going? If there's pre-drinks or anything would be nice to meet anyone from the board!

8. BillyPaton

BillyPaton New Grayhead

Setlist from tonight! No nemesis TYL instead. My favorite David gray gig out of 15 or so. The new music is well worth the wait.

Attached Files:

ak11, Rena, RosalieEP and 2 others like this.
  9. tony

tony Active Grayhead

Hello there, thanks wolfie and rena!!

I've actually been north of the wall (GoT reference, yo) although I don't think I'm able to do a proper résumé of the show, cause I'm knackered, a bit drunk and typing this on a phone. But wolfie, on the Ireland and US tour you've for filled your team grayhead duty so many times in such a beautiful way I couldn't ever go to sleep without giving something back. So I hope you are there, this is for you.

I know set lists are supposed to be in correct order and without songs missing but I really can't remember right now. I'm pretty sure it will pop out somewhere, so from what I remember the set list was something like this:

Gulls
    Incredible
    Back in the world
    As the crow flies
    Birds of the high arctic
    Mutineers
    Ain't no love
    Alibi
    My oh my
    Fugitive
    Cake
    Snow inVegas
    Kathleen
    Summer
    Girl like you
    Sail away
    The one I love
    Other side

Encore:
    This years love
    Babylon

I'm kinda sure he didn't play "beautiful agony" but I might be wrong. Sorry about the wrong order, think I got all songs though.

Seeing gigs in Scotland seems to be so strange, I recall the infamous paisley gig a couple of years ago... And I think the combination of Glaswegians and record release day made it a very special evening. At one point DG was shaking his head and saying to himself: "Scotland...!" The new songs were received very very well with huge roars in between, like the mutineers crescendo and you could totally see a grateful DG. The crowd turned absolutely mental when DG forgot all the words to "ain't no love" twice and a crew member quickly came by to rescue him with a lyric sheet padding his shoulder. The perfect example that mistakes can sweeten up a show if handled with humour such as DG commenting the incident with "no comment". After that moment he had the crowd and "alibi" was fresh and breathtaking as if listened to it for the first time.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about the show and the record as well. I think DG is a bit of a crowd pleaser and some negative comments are on here are sort of understandable even if not always shared.... BUT without going to deep into that - cause who am I to say which crowd should be pleased - David Gray, the band and his whole crew are doing a top notch and unique job. Music wise, sounds, instruments, lights and all the visible passion makes it such a heart pounding experience. John smith and David kitt create such a fresh and energetic sound, Niamh stole my heart and Caroline must be the most talented person on earth, her cello is still in my head right now. My favourite moment was Caroline, Niamh and David kitt dancing to fugitive. David Gray has just always sounded best life, he has outplayed his records every single time I saw him and I've never seen anyone go anywhere near his quality.

Ok, enough of the blabber... It's late and I apologise for this weird post. I hope you are all good.

image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

JackieJo, ak11, John and 6 others like this.
  10. wolfie

Tony, I am so glad you were there! And I am here reading what you wrote and you've really made my day so thank you!! I just love that last paragraph you wrote because it's exactly how I feel, too. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the setlist, pictures and review. I love it all!!

BillyPaton, thank you to you, too, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    jan likes this.
  11. jan

jan Member Grayhead

"The new songs were received very very well with huge roars in between, like the mutineers crescendo and you could totally see a grateful DG"
    ~~~~~~~~~
    thats awesome....love that! Early in the tour hes apologizing for the Mutineers material...now it turns a corner and he gets to feel the love for the new songs.

" But wolfie, on the Ireland and US tour you've for filled your team grayhead duty so many times in such a beautiful way I couldn't ever go to sleep without giving something back. So I hope you are there, this is for you."
    ~~~~~~~~

love that too... extra awesomeness :joyful:

wolfie likes this.
  12. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Thanks for the review! So glad it was such a good show and the new album is getting the love!

13. BillyPaton

BillyPaton New Grayhead

Thanks wolfie! Great review tony. I thought the whole night was amazing. DG has really got a spring in his step again! The crowd loved the new songs. Hopefully be a winter tour :)

JackieJo and wolfie like this.
  14. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Thanks for the setlist and the great review! :)
    Great photos as well!

15. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Nice one, thanks !

16. Suzanne

Suzanne New Grayhead

Fantastic gig and set! It's up there as one of my favourite DG gigs out the few I've been to!

Loving the new material and like someone said - it was well received! I had to power listen to the album 2 or 3 times before the gig, because considering it was release day - I still wanted to know what I would be hearing! :)

Attached Files:

Rena, carmel59, wolfie and 2 others like this.
  17. wolfie

Suzanne, thank you for sharing the lovely photo (which looks like it was maybe taken during Birds of the High Arctic?!?) and welcome to the forum!

18. Suzanne

Suzanne New Grayhead

Thanks, Wolfie. I was a member of the 'old' forums, and only just realised the changeover.

That is exactly when the picture was taken (my current favourite from Mutineers). :D

19. wolfie

Well, glad you've made it here, Suzanne! It's my favorite from Mutineers, too! :)

20. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

What a fantastic shot! Love the energy it conveys!!!