alert clean-up & pop up ads

Discussion in 'Help' started by carmel59, Jan 16, 2014.

1. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Any pointers on how to clean up all the alerts building up in my account? Also, pop up ads are attached to my upper right hand acct info. One each on Messages, Likes, & Points. How do I get rid of them? Thank you!!

I see there is one imbedded in this post. I went into my preferences in Firefox and checked the box to block pop-up windows
    . Also, they are randomly all over the site.:confused:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Okay, here we go...

First of all, let me make one thing clear for everyone... We do not use any advertisements on this website, and we do not sell any info to anyone.

But let me help... :cigar:

Alerts are reminders of something happening on the board that you have shown interest in (like watched threads or resources), this is usually an answer in a thread you participated in. You do not have to clean any of those, as they are basically reset once you have seen them...

I logged in just a minute ago and...

upload_2014-1-16_20-51-19.png

But if I show all, then it will show me alerts from the past... nothing to clean or worry about here.

My guess is that the adds you see, are caused by what we call a browser hijack... which is malware installed in your browser. It is pretty easy to get infected with malware, and not always so easy to get rid of.

A few hints here that might help prevent the installation of malware and a few hints how to get rid of them...

1. Use an updated browser (IE/Chrome/Firefox/Safari will all do fine, but make sure they are up2date !)
    2. Use an updated Operating System (in Windows terms, run Windows Update often or even better.. automatically)
    3. Use a firewall
    4. Use an anti-virus package (although, they will not stop all malware)
    5. Be careful visiting sites that may look interesting, but could be harmful.

Removal of malware:

1. Scan for malware using tools, some are free like Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/free/
    2. Remove any malware (make backups if unsure)
    3. If you know which malware hit you, have a look at sites like http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/ for removal instructions
    4. If you do not have any clue about all this, have your device checked by someone that does... :nurse:

If in doubt about this site, just send me some screenshots by e-mail or PM, I might be able to tell you what is going on.

Take care !

Marcel.

3. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Marcel, I understand that the alerts disappear on the dropdown, but when I go into my account info they're all there, building up.

As for the adds, looks like I've got some work to do. Firefox got messed up somehow. My Safari is OK. Thank you for all the info!!!!