April 24, 2014 Wilshire Ebell Theatre, LA, CA

Discussion in '2014 April/May - USA and Canada' started by davidcotyalex, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Eileen

Eileen Member Grayhead

Tinab and Kari like this.
  2. Kari

Kari Member Grayhead

Wolfie you're such a sweetheart, you always give such wonderful honest enlightened reviews. Sounds like the night was a dream. What a way to start the tour off. And I agree I liked that he didn't sugar coat the new albums or songs . He just played them all from the heart and threw it all out there for us to hear and take in. Eileen and I have 2 more days before our show and I can hardly stay still I'm so excited!. Thanks for the video post everyone. Great way to get the early morning started. I am Excited to hear some more reviews and see more videos popping up. :)...

tony and Eileen like this.
  3. tony

tony Active Grayhead

jeezus christ almighty

WhereIfall2013, Lou, Tinab and 5 others like this.
  4. iamseanharrison

iamseanharrison Member Grayhead

This is utterly amazing! Every superlative under the sun!

5. Kari

Kari Member Grayhead

Tony thank you for posting this video. What a gorgeous stunning song.. This will be on repeat all day long today :)..

Eileen likes this.
  6. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

What a treat, to wake up to all of this! Firstly, thank you very much Wolfie!! A few thoughts, from reading your writeup.

-Awesome that the album got a full run through, I can't begin to fathom how spectacular it must have been to be in that room as one of the first people to ever hear the entire album, and in a live setting no less. I can't wait to experience that for myself, this coming week.
    -Fantastic that Shine made it into the show. It seems oddly fitting that he should follow up the performance of the new album with studio album 1: track 1. It's still one of my all time favorite songs of his, and I hope it remains in the set list come DC.
    -With that being said, I was hoping for a little more from the obscure parts of his back catalog, a la Sounding Out tour. It's really cool that Laughing Gas made it in, but I would have liked more. What can I say, I'm a greedy little pig and I can't help feeling that those set lists in Ireland were a once in a lifetime occurrence that I've, sadly, missed out on.
    -Babylon, Kathleen, TYL, Fugitive, Nemesis, Sail Away, and TOIL are all fantastic, some even more so than the rest, but I've been there and done that. Don't get me wrong- I can't wait to go there and do them again, it's just that there are a lot of other unexplored territories for me too.
    -It's really bold to play a show in which more than half the set is from an unreleased album. It's also really bold to play a show full of the obscure picks. I'm not exactly being realistic (or reasonable) to hope for a show in which both of those things happen. I can't pick and choose like that.
    -Which brings me to a final point. I can't wait to see what David pulls out throughout the rest of the tour. Hearing the entire new album is going to be so special!!!!!

Marcel, RosalieEP and Kari like this.
  7. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

I'm not sure I can watch that video. It's taking all of my self control to do so, but I feel like it will be more special if I'm hearing it live for the first time, without any prior listening.

Rena and Eileen like this.
  8. Eileen

Eileen Member Grayhead

You've said it so very well. This tune builds like a rocket during blast off and baby I'm melting !

wolfie and RosalieEP like this.
  9. Eileen

Eileen Member Grayhead

Holy Moly girl I can't wait and we are in for such a treat, I have, you have missed him live for far too long. eeeeek !

Kari likes this.
  10. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Ak - no, I have never heard Babylon performed as it was last night. Amazing that a song I've heard live so many times could sound fresh again.

Tony - thanks for the video! I saw someone in the front row dead center with the camera going a few times so I was hoping for something like that.

Seneca - I hear you on wanting to hold out on the video. It's tough, though! On the setlist - I look at it like David saying thank you for listening to and appreciating all these new songs you've never heard before ... now I am going to play all the songs so many of you love and came to hear tonight. On missing a once in a lifetime occurrence...you never know with David, so I wouldn't be so sure. I really feel like there could always be a tour or even a show where something totally unexpected happens, as it has so many times in the past. So keep hoping and dreaming! And I hope your night in DC is magical!

Eileen likes this.
  11. Eileen

Eileen Member Grayhead

Really ~ humm not the same for me, we are all different, granted, but by hearing a taste of what you'll be Seeing and Feeling in person is what builds my excitement. I don't have your self control, I don't think I ever have. I guess it's like opening Christmas pressies early, BUT I DON'T CARE. That's just the way I am :joyful:.

Tinab likes this.
  12. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Yeah, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to hold out more than a couple hours. Maybe one of the mods can temporarily ban me from the site to keep me away :D

13. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

YES!!! I only wish that the last part of the song was longer! So intense! Love it! I can not wait for this album!

14. tony

tony Active Grayhead

DO IT, DO IT :D its really great... plus, you'll be able to sing along when you hear it life.

15. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Tony, why you do this to me? o_O

16. tony

tony Active Grayhead

I just loooove how they totally let theirselfs go at the end, full throttle... must have been great being there.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    wolfie likes this.
  17. Shelbyy

Shelbyy New Grayhead

I'll jump in with a report. I love the "album release" show format - so starting with a complete run-through of the new album was a huge plus for me. Getting to hear everything live makes me more excited for the new album. As the Crows Flies and Mutineers stood out as my favorites of the new songs. I'm still not a fan of Gulls. I did find it interesting that album begins and ends with birds as a theme.

The second half of the show was fun; and saving the "known" songs for the end definitely means going out on a high note. Every show is different for me, and last night Fugitive stood out as the winner. That song just begs to be played live. So good.

The sound crapped out a couple times with static in the vocals, but mostly it was fine. I'm so happy I got to see this show, and I hope those who get to attend the upcoming shows have as much fun as I did.

RosalieEP likes this.
  18. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

I'm speechless

19. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

don't watch the video,......you want to have "virgin" ears on this one, trust me........

20. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Thank you! I needed that (i.e. I was about to watch it right now) :)