April 24, 2014 Wilshire Ebell Theatre, LA, CA

Discussion in '2014 April/May - USA and Canada' started by davidcotyalex, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Tinab

Tinab Member Grayhead

I'm watching it as soon as I can hook my phone up to some speakers.

2. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Question: how was John Smith?

3. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Shelbby, welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the show. So glad you enjoyed it!

Seneca, David Kitt opened last night. They were running a little late so he only did, I believe, 4 songs. Sounded good, though.

4. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

kinda like when I heard Where the Love Is for the first time in Asheville, soooo gooooood.

5. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Oh okay. I guess John Smith is just opening for some of the shows in the east.

ِAnd yes, carmel, Where the Love Is was incredibly special!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    carmel59 likes this.
  6. tony

tony Active Grayhead

what a brilliant song... i haven't been so excited about a dg release since buying all pre-white-ladder records.
    and the harmonica he didn't use on fugitive. yay!

7. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Here the concert review of The Hollywood Reporter:

David Gray's Shock of the New Produces Awe: Concert Review

Singer/songwriter plays entire new album "Mutineers" before adoring fans in intimate L.A. show that works, flaws and all.

Most artists will tell you they prefer to play their new songs in concert, but few take it to the extremes David Gray did as he kicked off an eight-date North American tour in Los Angeles in front of a sold-out crowd at the intimate Wilshire Ebell Theater.
    “This is us going through the whole record here, and it’s actually the first time we’ve done it,” Gray said before leading his impressive seven-piece backing band through a lovely piano-based “Birds of the High-Arctic,” which ended with a long sing along.
    It’s asking a lot of an audience to listen to an entire album’s worth of new material almost two full months before release date (it comes out June 17), but it was an obvious treat for Gray’s adoring fans, who yelled their love for him so much during the show it felt like an adult version of a One Direction concert...

more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...usic+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Music+Reviews)

Marcel, wolfie and John like this.
  8. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Wow! I don't like the comparsion to One Direction because I think we Grayheads and all other fans yelled our love out even before One Direction was born.. but all in all a superb review of the show, as far I can say this because I wasn't there ;) It sounds like David will get new laurels for his massive collection :D

By the way: Thank you wolfie! Great emotional (we all can understand that!) review from your side! And welcome Shelbby. Thank you and all the others too!

9. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Yeah, definitely not appreciating the One Direction comparison myself. I refuse to let myself be associated with a crowd of drooling school girls who worship a boy band that's never directly participated in the process of writing and producing their so-called 'music'. They're less artists than entertainers, and the comparison is insulting to real artists /endrant

On the whole though, decent review.

10. Tinab

Tinab Member Grayhead

OK had a chance to watch the video on the big screen, with some good bass, on some good speakers. Completely on repeat. Can't stop listening and watching and dancing (kinda kitchen dancing but I'm in the living room). All I can say is that this next week better go quick....:singing::headphone:

RosalieEP and wolfie like this.
  11. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Nevermind, thanks for posting the review. That One Direction comparison, well, I don't know about that. I didn't think it was that bad. Not that I know what goes on at a One Direction concert. :eek: Overall quite a positive review. It was interesting for me to read that the author thought that Snow in Vegas had "an almost country feel" because I said that last night. I was thinking about it today and wondering if my ears were playing tricks on me but I'm glad I'm not the only one who got that vibe. I can't wait to hear it again in a few days and see what I hear then! That's the challenging thing about hearing songs for the first time, especially live. There is so much to take in and so much to process. And at the same time I just want to listen and enjoy the music.

nevermind and Marcel like this.
  12. Tinab

Tinab Member Grayhead

Wolfie, any idea what the name of that new song is?

John likes this.
  13. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

I was actually wondering about the so-called 'country feel' of Snow in Vegas. To be completely honest, it doesn't sound so appealing in my mind, particularly given how much I enjoyed the earlier version on the piano. I'll wait to see what I think of this newer rendition, but as of right now I'm kind of hoping it stayed closer to the original on the studio recording

14. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

My hint is that it's Beautiful Agony!
    Because we already know Gulls, Incredible, Cake, Back In the World, Snow in Vegas. We don't know As the Crow Flies, Mutineers, Last Summer, Beautiful Agony, Girl Like You, Birds of the High Arctic. And under these unknown tracks I would say that the title Beautiful Agony fits the lyrics the best from what I could hear with my system..
    But I don't know for sure..

15. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

that was my guess also.................

John likes this.
  16. Tinab

Tinab Member Grayhead

I found out that it is Mutineers. :D

17. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

I was guessing it was Mutineers because the reviewer said it built up to harmonica jamming at the end.

18. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I am with Seneca on not listening to any of the new songs before I get to see them live in late June.

But OMG on that new version of Babylon. It's incredible to see what they have done to it. So new and fresh. A whole new start for real. Well done , David!

Lou, John, Tinab and 2 others like this.
  19. DogearedCarrie

DogearedCarrie Member Grayhead

Thanks so much for the reviews and videos! I'm looking forward to the D.C. show tomorrow night!