April 25, 2014 Palace of Fine Arts, SF, CA

Discussion in '2014 April/May - USA and Canada' started by davidcotyalex, Apr 1, 2014.

1. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

please post here all thoughts / comments / hopes and dreams / etc etc for this show

2. rjrorchid

rjrorchid New Grayhead

I tried to get tickets through presale and public on sale and could not get a any. It looks like DG should play larger venues. I always got great seats through the old presale ticketing method. If anyone has any extra tickets to sell at close to face value let me know. Maybe they can add a second show?

3. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

second show not gonna happen I don't think as they have promo on the day off I believe......sorry

4. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

Got my seat assignment email today! Third row, slightly left of center. Anyone else attending this one? 17 days and counting, let's start the excitement meltdown early!

nevermind likes this.
  5. Rhi

Rhi New Grayhead

Have our tickets. :)
    Anyone know if there will be an opener? Or does the show simply start at 8?

6. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

Can't resist posting my hopes and dreams (per DCA's suggestion, haha) for this show....

I hope it doesn't rain like it's supposed to...I hope traffic isn't a nightmare...I hope he plays Shine and Tidal Wave (and what the h*ll...Destroyer).

I DREAM he plays Northern Sea and The Rice...I dream he decides to buy a summer home in San Francisco and frequents local bars, performing impromptu shows on a semi-regular basis.

Oh, and Rhi...John Smith will be the opener. And with a name like John Smith I'm not going to attempt any research on him before the show ;)

nevermind likes this.
  7. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Nothing wrong with hopes and dreams. I'm thrilled for you that you that you get to see/hear DG live, again. Safe travels (hopefully not in the rain!) to the show and ENJOY (I know you will!!).

8. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Have a great show tonight! I'm all giddy from the little glimpses from last night, so I know you're in for a good one!

9. wolfie

Lara, Rhi, and everyone else going tonight - enjoy the show! I am very excited for all of you. Please come back with anything you want to share about the show. :)

10. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

11. Ryan M.

Ryan M. New Grayhead

I'll read through the LA show posting to see if I can find an answer there, but can anybody tell me if there is an opening act tonight, and if not, what time David went on last night? Running late and unfortunately probably won't make it to the venue until just after 8.
    Thanks

12. Rhi

Rhi New Grayhead

Were here. :) Row M waiting for the show to start. I bought these tickets to surprise my fiancé. I can't believe I was able to successfully keep it a secret from him. We made it all the way inside before he figured out who we are here to see. This is his second DG show and my first.

13. Tinab

Tinab Member Grayhead

So excited!!!! From what I've seen this will be special. And I really hope you share!

14. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

Setlist.

Gulls
    Cake
    BITW
    As the Crow Flies
    Mutineers
    Last Summer
    Snow in Vegas
    Beautiful Agony
    Girl Like You
    Incredible
    Birds of the High Arctic
    Shine
    TYL
    Falling Down the Mountainside
    Kathleen
    TOIL
    Fugitive
    Sail

Encore:
    Babylon
    Nemesis

K, more later :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rena, Eileen, RosalieEP and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tinab

Tinab Member Grayhead

No clue how to post youtube videos but here is Shine from last night.

Maybe I did it right....

Rena, Marcel, Eileen and 2 others like this.
  16. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Nice to see Falling Down the Mountainside. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, Lara

17. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

Hello!
    Good job Tina! It worked :)
    I'm using the Tapatalk App, so sorry if the formatting is weird. I haven't used it much.

First thing that jumps out at me is: whoa! That's a lot of people on stage. Like, A LOT, a lot. 8 people in fact. Keep in mind I hate change, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Personally I found it too overwhelming and too busy up there. It seemed like there were 3-8 people singing at any one time, and it just waters down David's voice, there are some liquors you drink straight, and then there are some liquors that require a mixer...David needs no mixer! I get though, that the new album songs have a really rich sound, and obviously the man knows what he's doing, so I'll just chalk it up to me hating change :)

Also this was the first time I've seen him dress in something other than a suit! He looked nice, but a little more casual. I liked it, he looked happy and healthy and was as energetic and enthusiastic as ever.

The crowd was a little odd. The word sterile comes to mind. David even said at one point "it's quiet in here", which it was. We were noticing before the show that the people in the lobby were sort of...I don't know...all a little older, all sort of affluent looking, and we were wondering if the limited seating and expensive/hard to get tickets sort of had an influence on who got to attend. If so, it wasn't for the better. There was very little interaction between the stage and the crowd.

Ok, the new songs Mutineers, BITW, and Cake were so incredibly fun live. Loved them so much more after seeing them live. Gulls of course was gorgeous and Birds of the High Arctic was nice until it turned AWESOME about 2/3 of the way through!! Ha! I need to hear the other new ones some more, but those jump out at the gate as the clear favorites.

I have to say how much I love Caroline. She is absolutely necessary up there. She and the background singer and the guy with the guitar next to the background singer (ha!, don't know their names) seemed to have a little dance party during Fugitive. Was cute, they kept all looking at each other and giggling a little bit. It's fun sitting close and getting to see stage interaction.

Of course Falling down Mountainside was a great surprise and so happy we got Shine. TOIL is another I can never hear enough live...probably my favorite song to hear live in fact.

We only got 2 encore songs, but after Nemesis David kept pointing to his wrist as if he was wearing a watch and saying thank you, time to go. It was exactly 11, so maybe no time for more.

All in all, great time, can't wait to hear the new songs more when the album arrives. Thank you for a great night DG and crew! And thanks, Hotel Fairy! :)

Xoxo

18. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Thanks for sharing, Lara! I totally agree about your comparison of David's voice to liquor that needs no mixer. I want more recordings to surface!

Eileen and Lara like this.
  19. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

I only took one video and it was Shine, though not the one posted by Tina. And I didn't get it all, so I'm really glad that one exists! I was in 3rd row and I saw one person in 1st and one in 2nd who were taking a few videos, so maybe there will be more.

Eileen likes this.
  20. wolfie

Lara, thank you so much for the set list and for your review. Much appreciated!

I have to agree with you on your take on the number of people on stage. I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't sure if it was "just me." It is a bit much. Don't get me wrong they are all great musicians and all adding something to the sound, but it is overwhelming a bit, as you said. How was David's piano oriented in SF? In LA he had his back to a good portion of the audience which bothered me a tad so I was just wondering.

Very interesting about the crowd and not what I was expecting to hear!

Could not agree with you more about Caroline. She is gold. I admire her so much.

Isn't Cake so great live?!? I just love it. I loved Birds of the High Arctic in LA so I'm glad you singled that one out, too.

So glad you enjoyed yourself and thank you, again, for your posts about the show!

Eileen and Lara like this.