April 25 2017 Amsterdam Theater Carre

Discussion in 'Tour 2017' started by Rena, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

A Solo Evening with David Gray

All the info about David's concert on April 25 2017 in Amsterdam Netherlands at the Theater Carre can be posted here.

Available to all ages. Doors at 19:00, concert at 20:00.

Presale tickets will be available from the good folks at David Gray.com/tickets

tomorrow March 9 at 9.00 am CEST.

Good luck!

Edited to add the presale link: Presale Davidgray.com

The public sale will start March 11 at 11 am CEST.

The concerts by the same title that David played at the end of last year were utterly amazing. So I strongly recommend to go and get tickets. This is likely to sell out quickly.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Now this was a very smooth and easy presale. A big thanks to the guys at davidgray.com!

So now - who else is going? I can't wait. Very much looking forward to this.

KirstenH and nevermind like this.
  3. Raymond

Raymond Member Grayhead

nevermind likes this.
  4. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Looking forward to Amsterdam!

5. Mark

Mark New Grayhead

I wish they released a dvd version of his performance at the itunes festival at the Roundhouse in London 2014 or still had it for streaming. I would love a copy.

6. Main

Main Active Grayhead

It would be so cool to see him in my home country... But unfortunately, I can't make it! :(

John likes this.
  7. Birdie

Birdie Member Grayhead

To anyone who will be going tonight:
    HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!
    So jealous. Can't be there.

Love, Birdie

8. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Unfortunately I was not able to go either. I am quite upset about this. But from what I hear David is outdoing himself once more. The second half must be on at the moment. I can't wait for a full report from our man Marcel :)

Marcel, John and nevermind like this.
  9. nevermind

Nemesis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carmel59, Marcel and John like this.
  10. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have been bit busy but I did not forget you...

First of all just to say how lucky we are to be able to see David again only few months after his last gig in Utrecht, what a perfect idea to pick things back up in one of the best venues in Holland... The Royal Theater Carre in Amsterdam.

18121059_10155245758849439_8455542914123809304_o.jpg

I must have traveled quite a bit over the last 15 years or so to see David play in various places, this time round only 2 metro stops from work... wow !
    Round 4-ish I went to the pub first to wind down a bit and enjoy some pub food, very unfortunate Rena and Nevermind could not make it this time round but luckily Sarah was able to join me today. I had just enough time to say hello to Raymond and his dad, always good so see these usual suspects again :)

The Carre is a great venue, so happy to see David here ! Sat down just in time, I think David appeared round 20:15 to play Shine, noticed a slight crackle in his voice but after a few songs his voice warmed up nicely.
    David was in good spirits and the audience was very respectful, maybe even a bit quiet in the beginning. These gigs in Holland are quite different from the UK, Scotland or Ireland where nearly everyone has had a drink before which makes the atmosphere a bit more alcoholic... Not round here ... David even had to encourage people for some interaction here and there but at the same time must have felt appreciated and respected by the crowd.

It was clear this gig was a first after a while.. with David having a few brain freezes... and some hard work here and there remembering words, buttons to press... But at the same time it broke the ice a bit.. and David was very relaxed about it, making jokes... During "From here you can almost see the Sea" he had to stop a few times.. In the end he shouted to Laurence to "google it for F* sake" :)

This gig was a bit different than others I had seen solo, where there was an interval somewhere in the middle... In Amsterdam David must have been playing for at least 1.5 hours before having a break, and during the break I noticed a few people leaving because they did not hear David say he would be back soon.

18077071_10155245758594439_8994818946163279265_o.jpg

Great setlist and all songs were played, including In the Morning, Kathleen (instead of Breathe) and Dun Laoghaoire, which was introduced with David talking about the depressing time we are in with Brexit, Trump, Financial crisis etc. David must have felt quite comfortable as he spoke for quite a while about the 9 week tour in the US :) David talking very explicit here and very funny, great laughs.
    The first set ended with Nemesis, and again David gave this tune a new face, this song is really a product of continuous improvement, fantastic !

After the break, it was really Greatest Hits time... I loved the version of Alibi so pure without any other instruments or vocals.

Smoke was left out of the setlist on stage, and during Sail Away David once again looking for the right words and then blaming the audience for not helping him sing the song... "Where were YOU!"

I love the ending to Babylon on this solo tour, excellent ! After that he really had no time to leave and come back, so he had to rush to still play This Years Love.. The gig ended round 23:10, so near enough 3 hours incl a 20 minute break.

Lovely evening !

PS: Thanks to Lys (?!) for the videos :)

11. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Thank you very much for this great review Marcel! I love reading about all these little details and special moments during a gig. And the most important part - the music! Once again - thank you !

This sounds like a wonderful evening with David. So glad you could make it to the gig. We would have loved to go ourselves but it wasn't meant to be.

The venue looks special too. Very nice.

Marcel and nevermind like this.
  12. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

And what an awesome version of Nemesis is this! Thanks Nevermind.

Marcel and nevermind like this.
  13. nevermind

Thanks Marcel! Awesome review! What a pity that we had to miss Amsterdam.
    Hoping for some new songs in Oslo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Marcel likes this.
  14. Main

Main Active Grayhead

Thanks, Marcel. Wished I could have been there. But I feel lucky we will get to see him in Lucerne in July! :)