April 30, 2014 Manhattan Center Grand Ballroom, New York, NY

Discussion in '2014 April/May - USA and Canada' started by davidcotyalex, Apr 1, 2014.

1. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

I stand by my belief that the stage rush last night wasn't cool. And most of the people were pretty drunk and acting kind of stupid, at least from what I observed. I also had the pleasure of listening to a guy audibly saying "zzzzzz" (you know that pretend snoring noise people make) during Laughing Gas. Lovely. But, anyway, glad some had decent people near them and enjoyed. Onwards...

ak11, Tinab and davidcotyalex like this.
  2. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

I totally hear you and as i was slightly removed it didn't impact me...........I will say the encore was a little lacking and this may be part of the reason (or most of it)

nyc crowds can often be like la crowds I am sorry to say................a bunch of pretentious crap that just think they are cool for being there........not really for the artist at all

forgot to say in the prior soooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to boston on so many reasons...........boston (duh), the second go around so not so much juvenile excitement and most especially sharing this absolute wonderfulness with the one I love :)

#onelove

wolfie, Marcel and Tinab like this.
  3. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

To all of you frequent concert goers............is this typical for a NY crowd? also the DC crowd..........how about LA,.........seems to be a pattern with the larger cities..........do these things happen randomly, or can you expect them in certain places? How do the concerts on the coasts compare to the mid-country?(as far as crowd behavior is concerned?) Next go round, I hope to make a wise choice as to location, (vacation time). My experience in Rochester Hills and Asheville was excellent.

4. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

jan, wolfie and RosalieEP like this.
  5. carmel59

6. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Lots of fun expressions in those pics, nevermind! :wacky:

Thanks for sharing your experiences at the show last night. Funny what can happen from one night to the next. I am giddy with anticipation over this new music!

7. RosalieEP

And @carmel59, good question. The largest city I've seen a show in was Atlanta, but it was an outdoor concert farther out, so I don't know if it counts as really seeing a concert in a major city. I have seen various concerts in nine different states, though, and I feel like the Midwest and the South had better audiences than the Northeast and Florida. (I grew up in Florida, and it is not the South! ;) ) That could be just my luck, but that's my generalization.

8. davidcotyalex

carmel there are definitely certain truths................not always the case but some real constants so while I have had some great gigs in la and nyc there definitely is that annoying element I referred to that just seems so much more common in these two towns.

and there is a town like boston..............that never disappoints

don't necessarily agree on the northeast - again just depends where - but that show in tarrington, ct was off the charts.............etc etc etc

9. RosalieEP

Somehow I never saw a show in Boston, despite living an hour away for years. The show I saw in Massachusetts, I just remember all the Red Sox fans breaking out into "Yankees Suck! Yankees Suck!" chants during the encore break. :confused: I've seen three shows in Connecticut, all from bland to drunk audiences. It could be the type of show I was going to see, though. The only time I've seen DG in the Northeast was in Rhode Island where I was able to easily walk my way to the front of the audience and stand in front of a couple who slept for the entirety of the show! LOL

davidcotyalex likes this.
  10. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Gulls video that appeared a while ago :)

Tinab likes this.
  11. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

@ak11 you are not really waiting until you see him live are you ? That might take 10 years mate ! :eek:

ak11, wolfie, RosalieEP and 1 other person like this.
  12. carmel59

Well...........Rosalie and DCA, there does seem to be a picture emerging for me from certain areas.............very interesting indeed. Lets see if Boston doesn't disappoint as you say. Nothing like the artist and audience in the same frequency.

davidcotyalex and RosalieEP like this.
  13. davidcotyalex

I have probably seen twenty shows in boston - dg, thath, damien rice etc

not a single downer................ :)

RosalieEP likes this.
  14. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

I think David's 1 word question on his NYC Instagram pic ("Security?") reveals his true feelings on the stage rush, lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosalieEP, ak11, Marcel and 1 other person like this.
  15. carmel59

sounds like THE city to visit!!!

davidcotyalex likes this.
  16. davidcotyalex

ok I have one thing to say.............DG needs to STOP bringing these gals along

not only did I profess my absolute love and devotion for caroline last night but just now with niamh in the lobby.....................o.m.f.g. so cute such a twinkle in her eye and so so incredibly nice

it is a good thing I have a wife I love who keeps me in check lol

kinda ;)

Tinab likes this.
  17. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Precisely Lara, which is why I said this morning "David's NYC Instagram says it all."

ak11, Lara and davidcotyalex like this.
  18. Helen_Can

Helen_Can Member Grayhead

So Carmel59, living in Boston, I would caution you about there being no angel city, period... As much as my city rocks, I saw to my horror Natalie Merchant interrupted during a concert at the Orpheum theater years ago by some drunk who asked her a very ridiculous, senseless and sexist question during a 5 second silent lull. The whole audience gasped and it was horrifying. There was no way to know which way this would turn as she took a few seconds to regain her composure (no way to ignore the fool he was so loud and nasty). Although clearly artists have to be prepared for the possibility of some external element changing the course of a performance, thankfully these are rarities. But they do happen. I think that what saved this imbecile from a crowd lynching was when she discarded his comment with humor and moved on with the show. Soooo... Boston is no angel city, I have been to two Gipsy Kings concerts there at the former Bank of America Pavillion on the water where the crowd slept the entire time and the musicians were left very deflated afterwards, wondering if it was a reflection on their performance that night. For whatever it's worth, Boston is still considered a fairly waspy / "puritan" prim and proper place where "most people" know how to conduct themselves but as last night showed us, all it takes is one rotten apple...
    And since many are going on and on about Niamh, lol, YES she is absolutely beautiful and sings like an angel. Great addition to the vocal mix last night!

19. Helen_Can

Helen_Can Member Grayhead

Wolfie, maybe you're right however I really think that DG's very short comments on Instagram do not reflect his frustration towards the crowd for actually "charging the stage" so much as they express his complete shock and disgust for a non-existent Security staff which could allow it to happen and in fact could have allowed for the situation to get out of hands, leaving the band completely outnumbered and unprotected. I did see his facial expression taken aback and tense during the first few minutes of the "charge" until he realized that the situation was in fact self-controlled and self-monitored, especially during the quieter songs then I literally saw him loosen up and fully enjoy this unexpected change of event. I do believe that he thrived on that energy level and that physical connection during the more upbeat songs... Just my opinion...

20. carmel59

I imagine the more concerts one attends the odds of this kind of stuff happening increases. In NY, were the people actually "on stage" . Did they stay there? Did it change the energy or mood of DG and the musicians?