Bangor, Co. Down - Bangor Abbey - Dec 3, 2013

Discussion in 'Tour 2013 in Ireland Sounding Out' started by Rena, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

All conversation about the December 3, 2013 show at Bangor Abbey - Bangor, Co. Down can go into this thread. This includes all the excitement, pre-concert meet ups and post concert conversations, reports, setlists...

2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Safe travels and have a blast tonight everyone! Since it's DJK's 60th b day today take him along in spirit :) looking forward to hearing about it all...

3. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

Have a blast and looking forward to the reports - i am sure you have your hands full with logistics! :)

make sure wolfie gets her rest!!

david gray in a church......................oh my

4. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Who's going to this one?

And yes, In a church. Should be a special night!

5. davidcotyalex

marcel and wolfie are in on tonight again and then they get cork as well. wolfie stays on for dingle and then we have lou in wexford. rob h is flying in for cork so I have a feeling that may be the "big" one of the tour......

we have holes currently i think with the Kilkenny, Nenagh, Ennis and Salthill gigs............hope we get some more folks over here for those!!

I understand he is having a lot of fun - you could tell on the broadcast as well................so awesome that he went and did this - and now that all the technicalities are behind him it is just the good stuff - the gigs themselves!!

6. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

No, sadly wolfie will not be in Dingle. Very tough ticket to get and no uck here. After Cork I will be in Kilkenny, Nenagh and Ennis. Glad to have some folks going to Wexford and Galway so we can get the scoop on those shows! And absolutely on DG having a lot of fun... he seems happy to be out doing this tour.

7. davidcotyalex

oh excellent....................glad I had it wrong as now i think we have folks at most shows then!!! and you should be able to get in some rest to fight the lag............!!

enjoy!

8. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Fantastic reading all the excitement here, hope Wolfie and Marcel have a fab time tonight, looking forward to hearing all about it x

9. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Just about to start, unique setting and sound should be interesting too Review maybe tomorrow, but will try and check in after the show ! Marcel

10. Marcel

Attached files [​IMG]

11. s06

s06 New Grayhead

12. Marcel

Well, this was an unusual .. Great though ! More later.. Wine priorities

13. Marcel

Attached files [​IMG]

14. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

I wonder what "Cake" is about... and the Incredible. I'm so glad you're enjoying and capturing these gigs. Enjoy the wine - well-deserved and worth it.

15. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

That is such an awesome setlist! I would kill for a chance to hear Laughing Gas, Falling Down the Mountainside, and Gathering Dust in the same show. Throw in those new songs and you've got a really special night.

16. Marcel

Laughing gas was not played, the rest was. Will try and post a review later, currently on the train with Wolfie heading to Cork

17. Marcel

Attached files [​IMG]

18. Marcel

Attached files [​IMG]

19. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

My breath was taken away last night when I walked into the Bangor Abbey and realized that yes, David Gray was really playing there and yes, I was really going to get to hear him. The Abbey was that spectacular. The sound that was produced in it was equally spectacular.The wait in the cold and windy night was worth it as our seats were fantastic. The religious mural on the wall directly behind the stage added another layer to an already surreal experience for me.

David and the band started the show in a similar fashion to the night before – with some new songs. The praise for Gulls is well deserved. It is a satisfying opener and benefits greatly from all the voices on this tour. Skellig and Dun Laoghaire are still growing on me but in the setting of the Abbey they were beautiful. I Want My Cake and Eat It is a lively and upbeat song. It instantly lifts me up when I hear it. I think it will end up being a real crowd-pleaser. Dancing With Both Feet Off the Ground was a favorite of mine from the first time I heard it and it continues to charm me each time I hear it. I didn’t think I’d get it on this tour. It’s one of the happiest surprises of the trip for me.

Once the new songs were presented, one of the highlights of any show where it’s played and certainly no less so last night – Ain’t No Love. It was a bit, again, surreal to be hearing it in a church, but lovely as always. David forgot the lyrics to Shine and had to be helped by the audience. He started it again and it was, as always, a crowd favorite. One of the real gems of the night was It Accumulates. Wow. Stunning performance of a spectacular song. It felt as if I was holding my breath the entire time. I always feel so privileged to hear some of David’s older songs and never more so on than on this tour. Both nights were chock full of some of the best of David’s songs and I think the setlist speaks for itself on this point. To hear Coming Down, Everytime, Mountainside, and so on on the same night – a joy.

The show closed with some of David’s more recent fan favorites – Kathleen, TYL, Babylon, and the closer - Sail Away. Second to last was Nemesis and while I know I always gush about this song, I have to mention how utterly and completely it moved me last night. I thought my heart might beat out of my chest at some point. I think it was just the combination of my own emotion, the lush and beautiful sound in the church and unique setting. Whatever it was, I was captivated.

Kudos and thank you to David and the band for a memorable performance in a place I will never forget.

20. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I had a strong feeling last night would be a truly special show, and it sounds like it certainly was. Too bad he didn't play Laughing Gas, but the rest of the setlist, and atmosphere, more than make up for that. What a beautiful night!

Seneca