Cork Opera House - Cork - Dec 4, 2013

Discussion in 'Tour 2013 in Ireland Sounding Out' started by Rena, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

All conversation about the December 4, 2013 show at Cork Opera House- Cork can go into this thread. This includes all the excitement, pre-concert meet ups and post concert conversations, reports, setlists...

2. ert

ert New Grayhead

can anybody tell me about the tickets for this gig? I've paid for them and all but heard nothing about how we will receive the tickets???? as its next week and a present for someone i'm starting to panic!

3. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Today someone wrote at David Gray's Fb-site that over the next few days everyone will get the ticketing infos! Most Tickets will be e-tickets.

4. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Ticket info should be in your mailbox today !

Marcel

5. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

ert, are you going to give us a nice write up after the show? :p

I hope you have a fantastic night!

6. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Have a great night everyone who is going, looking forward to hearing all about it.

:)

7. Marcel

8. Marcel

Attached files [​IMG]

9. Marcel

Attached files [​IMG]

10. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

How I wish I could swap places with you, Marcel, for a single night! :)

Another special setlist... What is Newie?

11. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

I *think* that Newie just refers to it being a new song (??) but Ad Nauseam was indeed played at that point. David even mentioned the other name - Force of Nature. No Mountainside during the encore - just Babylon and Sail Away.

12. wolfie

My guess is that "Newie" just refers to it being a new song but Ad Nauseam was played there. No Mountainside in the encore - just Babylon and Sail Away.

13. Marcel

The name of the song will be Bright eyes and Miracles (AD Nauseaum) and for me it was one of the highlights of this show... And if you are curious how it sounded ... I have good news..

I really enjoyed "I want all my cake and eat it" too, very short uplifting tune with great singing from the band..

Will not have time to fully review, but his was a great venue with a good audience. The band looked good and David was enjoying himself by the looks, as the audience was a bit rowdy and there was a girl who kept yelling at him he said "You are going to be trouble, luckily you are in the ejector seat" :p

Oh about the setlist, Hold On was played (not Gutters) and like Wolfie said Mountainside was left out, and ? at the end was Sail.

Great night, my last one for now... We have to hope for Wolfie to send us some updates during the rest of the tour. If you know anyone that is going please ask them to report here, and if you are reading this and going to one of the shows, please share your thoughts, photos, videos & reviews !

Take care guys, about to head to the airport to fly over stormy europe.. not looking forward but have to get home to try and give the impression that I am still a responsible parent... Might take some time :rolleyes:

Marcel.

14. Marcel

The name of the song will be Bright eyes and Miracles (AD Nauseaum) and for me it was one of the highlights of this show... And if you are curious how it sounded ... I have good news..

https://soundcloud.com/marcel9/david-gray-bright-eyes-and

I really enjoyed "I want all my cake and eat it" too, very short uplifting tune with great singing from the band..

Will not have time to fully review, but his was a great venue with a good audience. The band looked good and David was enjoying himself by the looks, as the audience was a bit rowdy and there was a girl who kept yelling at him he said "You are going to be trouble, luckily you are in the ejector seat" :p

Oh about the setlist, Hold On was played (not Gutters) and like Wolfie said Mountainside was left out, and ? at the end was Sail.

Great night, my last one for now... We have to hope for Wolfie to send us some updates during the rest of the tour. If you know anyone that is going please ask them to report here, and if you are reading this and going to one of the shows, please share your thoughts, photos, videos & reviews !

Take care guys, about to head to the airport to fly over stormy europe.. not looking forward but have to get home to try and give the impression that I am still a responsible parent... Might take some time :rolleyes:

Marcel.

15. wolfie

I wasn’t going to go to the show at the Cork Opera House but Marcel offered me his extra ticket and how could I refuse?!? So, there I was. The Opera House had a more intimate feel than I was expecting. Our seats were back a bit which allowed a panoramic view of the stage and the crowd. The crowd was energetic and enthusiastic – a few shouts, a few cries of joy when a favorite song was started, a lot of clapping and singing along. Tonight there was an extra voice on stage in the form of Mossy Nolan, a singer and musician who works with Lisa O’Neill. Also a bit different was the addition of some low screens behind the musicians which featured some lights or random images at various times. Not sure if that was a one-time thing as they weren't at the first two shows. Guess I just noticed as the stage really has a folksy look this tour with music stands full of pages and lots of instruments strewn about and the screens looked a bit out of place (too modern?!? lol). Anyway, love the laid-back look on the stage this tour - it looks like a rehearsal room or something and everyone is dressed rather casually and it all really adds to the intimate vibe.

So just a few thoughts on some of what was played. I Want All My Cake and Eat It is a simple song that packs a punch. Lots of repeats of the title and “yeah, yeah, yeah” (which sound fabulous with all the voices on this tour!) but super catchy and makes me instantly want to start moving. There is a line in the song that says “live like there ain’t no tomorrow” and that resonates with me. When he introduced The Incredible he joked again about his manager wondering why he didn’t just call it “same old s***.” This is another song that works really well with all the voices of the band joining in. Hold On was a nice addition to the setlist and lovely to hear. Of course the surprise of the night for me was getting to hear Ad Nauseam. It was performed as it had been at Sundance – David solo on guitar. TOIL got a great crowd response when it started and is interesting this tour with just David and Robbie. Robbie has been great – love when he is working the tambourine with his foot and using his hand to pound on his bass almost like a drum to produce a really rich deep sound. Have to say I do miss Neill’s presence on stage and sound in the music but David Kitt is doing a fine job , particularly on Nemesis. Babylon and Sail Away once again closed out the show and with nearly full audience participation, too. Lots of happy people singing along there at the end and lots of cheering and big smiles as David and the band left the stage.

To anyone going to any of the remaining shows on the tour - ENJOY!!! And I'll second Marcel's plea to you to please report back here afterwards! :)

16. wolfie

Attached files [​IMG]

17. wolfie

Thanks for sharing Ad Nauseam! Sounds great!

18. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Thank you Marcel for Ad Nauseum it's stunning and now listening to Babylon dedicated to DJK.

Also thanks for sharing your amazing journey through Ireland with us.

19. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Thanks for a lovely review wolfie, reading yours and Marcels posts throughout this tour has got me looking forward even more to the new album.

20. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Thank you so much for these reviews!