David Gray Live at Beacon Theatre on 2011-02-23

Discussion in 'Tours 2011' started by nevermind, Jan 30, 2014.

1. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Elysium, Rena, Kari and 1 other person like this.
  2. sixstringedman

sixstringedman Member Grayhead

One of my favorite recent bootlegs! That version of Foundling... sigh. So much jealousy of getting to see that. Love seeing pictures from it!

nevermind likes this.
  3. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

I've got it on my iPod. A wonderful night. Froze my toes and my nose waiting to see David after the show. Only about a handful braved the icy temps but we were rewarded. I told Mark afterwards that I should have asked David if I could take a picture of his snazzy gray shoes. A few days later, he took his own picture of the shoes and put it on his fb diary!

If you haven't listened to this show, you should. Funny bit about screwing on a different head during Twilight.

4. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Enjoying this now... :happy:

5. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Ha, such memories..

Funny thing is, I must have forgotten most of the setlist... Good to see and hear this back.

Pretty good recording by Scott Brown, very well done... then again there are always people visiting gigs to hear themselves talk ?

:punch:

Cheers !

6. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Oh and mountainside, need I say anything about that one ?

:angelic:

Kari likes this.
  7. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

Fantastic night, fantastic people. Can't wait to do it all again.

nevermind and JackieJo like this.
  8. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

I just had a chance to really listen to this. Started on my computer then my husband suggested we listen to it on the stereo equipment. That it is a fantastic recording is an understatement. We streamed it through a DAC and integrated amp we just purchased and it was like every voice and instrument was in my living room. I got hypnotized.........once again. Amazing. I noticed another concert of DG's recorded by the same person I will listen to soon.

9. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

Carmel this is recorded by THE Scott Brown...............the dude is infamous amongst tapers - he is absolutely one of the best - what is awesome is he lives in nyc so he goes to a lot of shows - he recorded a bunch of damien rice gigs amongst others :smug:

ahhhh the beacon..............wasn't that the precursor to the big pre-gig gig at the park central? or am I getting shows mixed up?? I think it was and that was a great evening............and when jackie was freezing her toes we were back up at em in the suite ;)

of course those were the days before we started partying with the band lmfao! :jawdrop:

JackieJo and carmel59 like this.
  10. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Hello David, Can you tell me more about Scott Brown, I looked up the name, and there are numerous, is he a producer, sound engineer? DJ/producer?

On the archive site, there is also a pure recording of DG 20 years ago. A comment was made that only a sound board was involved. Love it!!!! pure and gritty.

Referring to the concert at the Beacon, how do you yourself listen to something like that? through your computer or streamed to sound equipment? When I switched over to the sound equipment it was blind mowing!!!!:woot: I love this site!! all this stuff is new for me. Donna

davidcotyalex likes this.
  11. davidcotyalex

ahhhhh to be in your shoes!!!!! I am long since spoiled............

for all I know scott very well may work in the biz - I just know of him as a taper.....and for the most part again he records only in nyc....so if you stumble across a show where he is the taper then you know the quality will be good

also yes anything that says it was grabbed off the board also means it should be great quality - that is because they ripped the recording from the board itself rather than bring in all their own equipment

but I also think the technology has improved significantly as there is a certain someone around here who is able to generate a very good quality recording from a device simply resting in his pocket :)

i am by no means an audiophile but I just do everything via my home computer - I have pretty good ears on that pc so I just run the sound through the computer - that works for me!!

happy surfing!!!!!:)

Marcel likes this.
  12. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

I didn't mind freezing my toes :cold: - some nice fellow gave me handwarmers and another nice fellow from Long Island pulled his car over from the parking garage for us to sit in. David came out immediately after we situated ourselves in the car. And anyways, as I recall, the party was still going once we made it back to PC. We'll see what I do next time.;)

davidcotyalex likes this.
  13. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

Scott is unbelievable. Just unbelievable. Every gig I go to since Boston 2005 I hope and pray for someone to be around recording the gig. It's such an unbelievable and unexpected memento.

But meanwhile, i'm looking forward to doing it up right with my fellow grayheads next time we're all in town. There are no finals to be done, and no papers to write (until grad school). *Curses*

JackieJo likes this.
  14. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Thanks Nevermind for this.
    Just listening now, it is a long while since I've listened to this, but remember it being a gem.
    It's exactly 3 years ago today.

:)

15. scb

scb New Grayhead

I've never actually seen Damien Rice in concert, but I have recorded a ton of other bands over the years.

Haven't gotten out much recently and couldn't make the Manhattan center show, but I gave my ticket to a taper friend and he got that one. I posted a link in the thread for that show.

Bummed I missed the most recent show. I love DG shows. This Beacon show was an interesting one....

thefox, ak11, nevermind and 2 others like this.
  16. davidcotyalex

haha I wondered about that because I immediately thought of you when i saw the initials but then was bummed when I looked at the archive page.............too bad you missed it as it was a great show - weird feckn venue tho??!

nice see ya around............coulda swore you did some damo gigs but regardless thanks for the efforts thru the years.........hope things are ok on the not getting out front - all our best

thefox and carmel59 like this.