David Gray London February 22nd War Child UK's 2015 "Passport Back To The Bars"

Discussion in 'Tour 2015' started by John, Jan 27, 2015.

1. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Anticipation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    RosalieEP, Main and John like this.
  2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I am so sorry for everyone who could not make it to this concert. This was so worth the fortune I had to spend on flights.

Musical sweetness. David solo acoustic in a small venue on a small stage. Just him and a guitar and just him and a grand piano. A setlist made of gems. David at his best.

The acoustic versions really brought the songs back to their roots. Showed their core. Intense and beautiful.

Tonight's setlist:

Arctic
    World to Me
    Vegas
    Dancing
    Twilight
    Mountainside
    In the Morning (Bee Gees cover)
    Hospital Food
    Back in the World
    - Jackdaw - on the setlist but not played.
    TYL
    All That We Asked For - a sweet new song. I hope the world will get to hear this again!
    Accumulates (always amazing!!!)
    (About Alright) in brackets and not played
    TOIL
    Alibi
    Forgive

-encore break-

Gathering Dust
    Babylon - here the prewritten setlist ended but he gave us more:
    It Stoned Me (Van Morrison cover)
    Say Hello and Wave Goodbye with Into The Mystic (Van Morrison) at the end

It was great meeting familiar and new faces. Sheila, Ryan and Emily, the female DG fan and her friend Dave who saw DG for the very first time and who very obviously was blown away, Marcel's friend Andy and the couple from Antwerp who flew in just for this one gig.

3. nevermind

Well that was really special: a superb DG solo and acoustic.! Probably the smallest audience ever I've seen DG! I really enjoyed DG approach to play a few of his older songs! What gems they are! Just saying!
    The new song was so beautiful! I hope it will be part of the set lists to come :))))
    Funny that I thought about requesting a song I haven't heard for a long time (btw: and I never shout out requests) ...and then DG played it: It Stoned Me! ...what a lucky boy I am :)))
    It's always nice to meet friends from the forum: @Teemto, @sheila d., Emily and a few others!
    See you all hopefully in the near future!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    daveeliver, Teemto, KirstenH and 7 others like this.
  4. Main

Main Active Grayhead

Wow, what a night that must have been! Glad you got to go and enjoy it for all of us who couldn't make it :)

Rena likes this.
  5. nevermind

Here a photo by Chris McGarrigle posted on Fb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    RosalieEP, JackieJo and Rena like this.
  6. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

nevermind likes this.
  7. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

What a gig it must have been! Thank you for sharing!

nevermind and Rena like this.
  8. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

What a fun and eclectic setlist! Say Hello w/ Mystic in that tiny venue?...kill me now. Wish I was there, but will settle for footage if I can find it. All That We Asked For...gonna stalk YouTube for that too! Thanks for pics and stories :)

9. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

GATHERING DUST

Rena and RosalieEP like this.
  10. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

MASSIVE THANK YOU to Rena for offering a couple of her spare tickets to me. I would have been amazed from just reading reviews after the event but my friend (Emily) and I had the privilege to be there. Such a kind gesture to allow us to attend a unique night in Camden.

We were initially worried about the noise during the support act (as they were serving dinner on the "balcony") but as soon as DG sat at the Piano the whole room froze. Everyone was in awe.

The set up was incredibly intimate. I could have grabbed his leg by extending my arm! ... not that I ever thought of doing this... not once :shamefullyembarrased:

The set speaks for it itself. So many songs I would have NEVER thought I would get to hear live in any scenario.. nevermind DG solo 3ft away from you!!!
    I have watched and re-watched the Sundance videos on youtube of Dancing With Both Feet so many times thinking about how perfect that song is... and it was true perfection on Sunday evening. Really resonated with me this one.

The set was full of some of my all-time favs, a lot of which I think he usually prefers to play in the US (Twilight, Mountainside, Vegas for example) which was why I was so amazed.

But the pinnacle for me was the final song: Say Hello Wave Goodbye. One of the first DG songs I ever encountered.... the song I always found myself listening to when I was in my Dad's car, aged 9 or 10 years old. The song I most often listened to whilst on my paper rounds when I was 16............. you get the idea!

Wow

I have to give every song credit where it's due also... I mean,

Alibi solo?!?! Brilliant!!
    Accumulates?!?!? Where did that come from!!
    It Stoned Me?!?! Gorgeous!!

So so so many gems... even World To Me and Hospital Food (such a tune btw! :D) I was wonderfully surprised by.

Lovely to see Hans, Sheila and Caren again at what was a special, special night.

@ak You can tell the luck we had when DG flat-out rejected the shouts for Shine and Living Room and proceeded with Dust. How often does that happen?!

daveeliver, ak11, nevermind and 4 others like this.
  11. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Again I tried to capture the whole thing on my iPod but sadly the recording is not up to standard. My positioning didn't help (being so close) and I also half-wedged it in my pocket and pretty much forgot to check on it throughout the entire night (this was because the whole gig was so encapsulating)

It doesn't do the gig justice at all but for me it is a small memento. I'll share it just in case someone else feels the same but I'll say to the bootlegger's that they shouldn't get their hopes up. The Piano songs (and annoyingly, Dust) are awfully muffled.

Web link here

nevermind, Rena, Main and 1 other person like this.
  12. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

:singing: I'm enjoying it so far, Teemto! Thank you!!!

13. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Well: WOW! WOW! WOOW! Sadly I missed it.. :( Luckily my concerns were not really well-founded: It's great that so many grayheads found their way in! :)

Thank you @Rena for the great review and the setlist!! And what a setlist it is!! - Dancing <3, Twilight, Mountainside, Hospital Food, All That We Asked For, Accumulates, Gathering Dust, It Stoned Me,
    Say Hello and Wave Goodbye with Into The Mystic (Van Morrison) at the end.... WOW!! Great to see two new songs there - even when one was unplayed. "The acoustic versions really brought the songs back to their roots. Showed their core. Intense and beautiful." - You're perfectly right! That's a reason why it's time for an acoustic europe tour ;) ^^

Thank you @nevermind for all the pics aand: congratulations for the heard and played request !!! And it stoned me... wow! I love David and I admire Van Morrison.. Great tune.
    And thank you both again ^^ :)

And finally @Teemto: "I have watched and re-watched the Sundance videos on youtube of Dancing With Both Feet so many times thinking about how perfect that song is... and it was true perfection on Sunday evening. Really resonated withme this one. " I feel you man!!!! I just did the same and was sooooooo overwhelmed when he played it solo in cologne after I requested it in social medias before..
    Thank you for the recording!!!! It's brilliant! Far far better then no recording^^ Now I can fill the gap, that I wasn't there! :)
    "But the pinnacle for me was the final song: Say Hello Wave Goodbye. One of the first DG songs I ever encountered...." Same here.. I just hear it for years now.. Actually the same kind of VERSION with band and Van's Into the Mystic and Madame George and his improvisation in the end..

Btw: I'm thinking about a professional field recorder actually to catch all the future gigs. They cost around 100$.. :cool:

Thank you all for the brilliant reviews! This was definitely a special speacial night! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

14. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Beautiful Teemto, his words before the song "All We Ask For" and then such a beautiful song, had my eyes all leaky. Thank you for sharing that. DG sure has an enormous heart doesn't he?

nevermind, Rena and John like this.
  15. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Yeah it was definitely touching :)

He was in a great mood too at the end, joking with the crowd.. throwing in an extra couple of songs. All in all great night

nevermind, Rena and carmel59 like this.
  16. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Just noticed today that I've won 3 tickets on the 19th last month in the second/third drawing.. Due to a fail with my mail server I got the mail today.. Wow! :arghh: :finger:
    But Lucerne, you will stop my pain :stop:

At least, this is the first time I've won something in a lottery... but somekind I've won nothing. :D

17. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Oh no, John. Finding such mails after the concert would be totally unbearable for me. Impressive how you take it with such good humour!

I still in awe over that concert. Such a special treat. And yes!!!!! on Lucerne!

18. Main

Main Active Grayhead

Oh noooooo, how bitter is that! :eek: I am so sorry!

I am certain Lucerne will stop your pain. :)