David Gray plays the ‪‎iTunesfestival‬ in London on September 14th!

Discussion in 'Tours 2014' started by nevermind, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Made it despite accidentally deleting the tickets from my phone. the phone is dead now, see you on the other side!

2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Have a great time tonight everyone!

I would have loved to go... but will try and spot familiar faces at front row during the live stream.

Thanks to Fox for reminding us of the iTunes ep that can be expected. That's something to look forward too.

John likes this.
  3. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Yeah, have a great time!! I'll be there with you ;) Can't wait. Excited!! The EP will be great!

4. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

The video is online now. Lisa Hannigan is on stage now !!

5. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

I love Lisa and John playing together!! Incredible. They fit together perfect musically ;)

wolfie likes this.
  6. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

All set :)

Have fun in 10 minutes !

RosalieEP, tony and John like this.
  7. tony

tony Active Grayhead

something to nosh and white wine... i like your style marcel

8. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Life can be so simple tony :)

Then again, I usually prefer red..

9. tony

tony Active Grayhead

i prefer my yellow refreshing hop beverage.

foto2.jpeg

RosalieEP likes this.
  10. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

DG: Happy days, everything is free.... :) Great camera work - I especially loved it on Nemesis when they got in real close. Added to the intensity and intimacy of that song. Loved the "ahhh"s when he started Alibi. Loved David asking for a little bit quiet for Gulls ..."f***king outrageous asking for quiet"- go DG! Falling Free - gorgeous. Loved being able to watch this online. Great fun being able to move around and sing along without bothering anyone. However, there's nothing like being at the show so I'm very grateful that a week from now is MY local gig. "Til then... thanks for the great show DG/band/Apple/etc.... hope all there had a wonderful time.

Saintsfan, RosalieEP, Rena and 3 others like this.
  11. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

"Happy days, everything is free!" That made me smile... But my smile went down really fast. I feel ashamed, really! What a waste of a genius! The crowd was soooo loud. I heard them all the time and felt really sorry for David! He looked so exhausted and jetlagged, as the whole band too, and the talking and ignorance of the audience was really terrible and cruel!

I'm really thankful that David and the band did'nt gave up and played for us here on the TV screens and PCs on that (for DG normal) high level they are on actually! Well done. Let's forget that night and get over it! They FILMED and talked instead of singing out loud!!!! That was the top of the mountain! I mean the gig was filmed and streamed professionally and is available now afterwards.... I felt really sorry for them - they looked sooo KO! It wasn't a normal day of DG making music for the people, it was hard hard work. He wanted to leave all the time.. I mean the improvisation on Nemesis gave him the opportunity to sing it out! But at least I'm thankful, that I heard him again.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  12. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Great concert! Such a pity we couldn't make it to Camden. Now desperately waiting for more tour announcements....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John likes this.
  13. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

I have surround sound and the audience sounded obnoxious to me. But I thought the band was excellent and loved every song they did!!!

John likes this.
  14. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

I have surround sound too, and the audience was really cruel! But David and the Band were SOO WELL!!

carmel59 likes this.
  15. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

This was utterly amazing. What a performance.

I am still overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this. And Nemesis? Not from this world. Wunderbar. I haven't heard Silver Lining in the current version yet and am so impressed.

John, don't worry. This is Camden and David knows the audience well. He knew what to expect especially because those weren't necessarily people who usually go to his concerts. During the iTunes festival people try out different and new artists and honestly - I was positively surprised by that audience. Most of them haven't heard any of the songs of the new album and were hoping for the hits to come. Given that they showed a lot of respect and interest actually.

I love David anyway (surprise surprise) but especially tonight because he did not start with the well known stuff but did his thing and challenged the audience a bit. Fantastic choice of songs, fantastic renditions.

So so good...

nevermind likes this.
  16. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Maybe you are right Rena ;) But David Grays look and motivation was for me clear visible on this "wunderbar" concert they have played, and it was sometimes on the level he wanted to go and leave it all behind! Nemesis blew me away!! So wonderful! And if you ask me, he led his "frustration" out.. "Lay me right down" - "still singing, no one's listening"... He clearly wanted to drive the way home and get out of it!

What we can say for sure: The audience was not his best rudimentarily - and maybe they were new to him, but If I go to a gig of an artist I wasn't before I'm quiet and try to get into the music ;)

17. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

David is such a pro. He knew the majority of the audience would know five songs from the setlist at the outmost and he still did his thing. He did his art.

When you go and play to an audience that isn't naturally 'your' audience an experienced performer such as David knows what to expect.

Of course I would wish him the most attentive audience too but that is unlikely at such a festival.

In the UK I have seen some 'normal' gigs with people paying to see him and being much noisier and caring a lot less. In places like Folkstone I have seen that puzzled look e on David's face...

David and the band were fantastic tonight and that is what counts to me. And hopefully many people either at the Roundhouse or watching the stream on their devices have found this interesting and inspiring and go and explore his music further.

nevermind likes this.
  18. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Totally agree on that! I hope he found some new fans tonight! I mean, the whole crowd could sing, as we could hear during Babylon - but they didn't before.. Davids smile at the end, when he cracked the hard nut alias audience, was totally satisfied. It was just a short smile.. But a smile!! :D

19. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

'Birds of the high Arctic'. , fantastic opening to the concert
    'Back in the world again' kept the tempo up
    'As the crow flies'
    'Mutineers', becoming one of my live favourites
    'Last summer' lovely and tender
    'Beautiful agony', not one of my picks
    'My oh my' good version
    'Fugitive' really good
    'Alibi'
    'Nemesis' my favourite and he really got into it
    'Gulls', David asked for a bit of silence and said it was an outrageous request! They were quiet for about 2 minutes
    'Shine' enjoyed it
    'Falling free', David talked about how some songs come from the heart and this one did and was dedicated to his wife who wasn't there tonight as they'd been to a fancy dress party last night, him as Suggs and her as Dusty Springfield(she was suffering)!
    'This years loving' audience getting involved
    'Sail away' audience getting more involved
    'Silver Lining' never heard it live but enjoyed it
    'Please forgive me' David danced the legs off himself loads of moves and really enjoying himself
    'Babylon' what the audience was waiting for and sang solo
    'The one I love' unexpected extra song and a great finish to the night

A really good night, a little too much noise from the chattering classes, but one of the best David Gray concerts I've seen,(though I've only seen maybe 6 or7)
    Nice to see Sheila and Wendy

20. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

Wrote the above whilst eating the remains of my Sunday lunch and didn't expect to see so many people ahead of me.
    I posted it anyway, though I think I have duplicated a lot of people's comments,
    The O2 staff at the Roundhouse were great .so glad I went
    Started at 9pm finished at 11pm

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    nevermind and John like this.