David Gray plays the ‪‎iTunesfestival‬ in London on September 14th!

Discussion in 'Tours 2014' started by nevermind, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

So do I, Rosalie. So do I.

Therefore I am hoping this wonderful rendition will be part of an iTunes Festival EP.

nevermind and RosalieEP like this.
  2. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

Dear friends, you can pm me interesting things. :rolleyes:

John and KirstenH like this.
  3. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

"Taking all the way down - Taking way down there - Look at me baby - Look at me baby - I need to see you! - I mean, really see you - The way I used to do - I really need to see you - Let's leave this "party" behind! - everybody is talking - nobody is listening - Let's leave this "party" behind! - Let's walk right out the city yeah! - all the way up to ... dark hill - 'til there's nothing but green fields! - lay me down, right down - lay me down, all the way down - lay me down, right down - lay me down, all the way down - c'mon baby - lay me down, right down - lay me down, all the way down - lay me down, right down - lay me down, all the way down - lay me down, right down - lay me down, all the way down - etc."

Awesome Nemesis! Which Hill does he mean?

"Let's leave this "party" behind! - everybody is talking - nobody is listening - Let's leave this "party" behind!"

"UUH, outrageous! f**kin' - asking for quiet!" as David asks for quiet before "Gulls". And then the crowd talks further.. He looked annoyed and a bit depressed, but he dealt with it very professional!

It seems as David hasn't enjoyed the party that much! I was surprised about all the positive reviews here (thanks for them!). When we look on the band and the music it was a really really good concert, BUT the crowd (except you DG-forummembers, who are great, friendly and singing out loud) were unfriendly noisy, talking etc.! And for me a good concert is built 3/4 by the band and 1/4 from the crowd. For me the streams from the US were much better, because the crowd was into Davids music! And there were a lot of people who are new to his music, too. But they respected, enjoyed AND they were listening David ans his band.

Of course the performance was overwhelming! The whole band was and is SO good! How they act together ist brilliant. But I would have been angry of all the talkind heads there, although the concert was for free. maybe the mentality is in great britain a bit different.

Btw: welcome to all who found the way back to this great forum!

Ps: don't take me to strong and serious. I just love to explain my point of view and love to hear yours!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    nevermind, wolfie and carmel59 like this.
  4. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

John, I agree with you that the crowd seemed quite talkative and disrespectful. That's always a very unfortunate situation, both for the performers and those in the audience who are there to listen. I experienced some very obnoxious crowds during David's recent run of shows here in the US (Cincinnati and Las Vegas come instantly to mind!) and those people paid for their tickets so I don't think it's a free ticket or GB thing. I do agree that the Letterman and Nashville crowds (two US shows that were streamed online) were good crowds.

I think that some people are better at tuning out the crowd and not letting it interfere too much with their enjoyment of the show. Unfortunately for me I am not one of those people. I guess I am more like you and find that my impressions of a show are influenced somewhat by the crowd. I wish I was more able to tune out the audience around me but I have to be honest and say it does affect me negatively if it's a really talkative or rowdy crowd. I think David does a remarkable job of keeping his cool and keeping the show on track with these kinds of audiences. And as someone who is there to hear the show I do appreciate it when he asks for quiet or comments negatively on bad audience behavior. With a bad audience it really is a matter for me now of just doing my best to tune out everything except what's going on onstage. It's not always easy but I'm finding it more and more necessary. And of course, the bad crowds just make me appreciate it that much more when I am in a great crowd.

Anyway, longwinded way of saying I get where you are coming from. :)

carmel59, John, Marcel and 1 other person like this.
  5. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

6. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

DG should just autopilot into White Ladder & LISM hit mode if the crowd isn't interested.

John likes this.
  7. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Today plays Ben Howard the ITunes Festival!!! He is absolutely incredible so check him out if you did not yet ;)

KirstenH likes this.
  8. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

If David Gray was brave playing a lot of his new songs, then Ben Howard was over mega super brave! He played ONLY (!!) new songs and only one hour. Hozier with 47 played minutes opened the show! Great new songs. I like Ben Howard, because he sounds inspired by John Martyn as well ;) I guess the people who attended to the show were really perplex caused by this short set!

9. Tony100

Tony100 New Grayhead

How are you getting on with this?

Anyone else had any luck with the audio???

10. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@Tony100 as Rena said this is copyright material owned by Apple and can't be shared! All we can do is hope that they throw out an ep of that concert. Fingers are crossed that David makes a new DVD with a two hours show as he did on Li(v/f)e In Slow Motion ;)

Rena likes this.
  11. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

I'm not sure if the entire gig is still available to watch but Nemesis has turned into a featured song! Bravo Apple!!

12. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

That's great news. Someone there has an excellent taste in music. That rendition was no less than stellar.

And yes, the entire gig is still available. Watch it while you can folks!

sixstringedman and nevermind like this.