David Gray: This is my album of 2014

Discussion in 'All About David' started by nevermind, Jan 5, 2015.

1. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

The british newspaper 'The Independent' asked 24 stars to choose their favourite records of the year and say why they hit the spot. One of them is David Gray! Here his choice:

David Gray

[​IMG]
    David Gray
    My choice: Mica Levi, Under the Skin (OST)

Jonathan Glazer’s Under the Skin is a masterful piece of cinema and was easily my favourite film of the year. As powerful as the film is, however, its impact would be massively diminished were it not for Mica Levi’s tense, eerie and insistently probing soundtrack. As with so many disturbing films the music acts as a kind of non-stop atmosphere generator throughout. The power of the score is its economy of means; it takes simple, haunting ideas and then repeats and mutates them to mesmerising effect. There are definitely strong nods toward classic Hitchcock and Kubrick soundtracks within some of the music but also, and often at the same time, a darkly humorous kind of alien burlesque feel to it. Congratulations to all concerned on a perfect marriage of picture and sound. Not really one to listen to while hanging up the Christmas stockings, mind you.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/my-album-of-2014-some-of-pop-worlds-biggest-stars-choose-their-favourite-releases-9935635.html

tony, John, wolfie and 1 other person like this.
  2. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Guess what's my favourite record of the year and why it hit the spot :joyful: They should have asked me ;) But: What an interesting choice by David. I watched the movie but could'nt make any concrete review after seeing it.. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. tony

tony Active Grayhead

Thanks Nevermind for the intel... i actually watched it when i was in scotland after seeing dg in glasgow. it is an amazing film but for me it ain't easily the best of the year. there was "the interview" right? and "the grand budapest hotel"... but a naked, man-eating scarlet johansson?!? the soundtrack was kubrick-like though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSWbyvdhHw if david gray makes at least one person on here watch this frightening stuff, this is a good place. i salute you john! but don't buy that martin.