December 1st 2014 - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall

Discussion in '2014 November December Continental Europe and UK' started by Rena, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

All the pre and post gig anticipation and joy can go in here.

Presale tickets will go on sale tomorrow, Sep 24 at 9 am BST on DavidGray.com tickets.

General sale will start on Friday.

Margaret likes this.
  2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I have seen David perform there before. A great venue. A great city. Great friends living there. Perfect. I can't wait.

Anyone else going?

Margaret and daveeliver like this.
  3. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

The Phil is just being refurbished, so it should be a great night in pristine surroundings.
    Backstage should be comfortable for David and the band.

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/15029/...ll-see-the-construction-work-in-progress.html

Look out for him in his old Liverpool haunts, Ye Cracke, Philharmonic Pub etc.

Hope the lady who was at the last concert and spent a lot of time shouting 'I love you David' gets in touch with me personally instead of annoying many people.
    I was flattered though... Take care, see you in Liverpool
    daveeliver,
    (another David)!

Rena likes this.
  4. daveeliver

Hi All,
    As you (like me) may have received presale ticket notification concerning the David Gray concert at the Liverpool Philharmonic saying that you are guaranteed seats in the stalls from rows A -O,
    just to let you know that I am a member of the priority booking scheme at the Phil and have an opportunity to buy tickets before general sale.
    Good tickets are available for scheme members, but there are a large block of seats not available rows A,B,C, seats 20-8 (seat 20 being in the centre, seat 8 to the side).
    It looks to me that this may be the 'David Gray website' allocation.
    The Phil is great anyway and anywhere you sit the sound is usually good. Hotel prices for Monday December 1st are reasonable.
    Take care
    Dave

nevermind and Rena like this.
  5. Lou

Lou Member Grayhead

Hi, I was there that night, she was getting on my nerves too but what a night that was, great great atmosphere.... Forgive Me was my fave plus I met him afterwards. Ahhhh, the memories. Kinda wish I could go to this venue again but I'm going to the Dublin one.
    Take care

Lou

6. Margaret

Margaret New Grayhead

Got my tickets on presales this morning :) Happy Bunny.com . I saw KT Tunstall here last year.Great venue.

7. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Saw him here in 2011, the band and crowd were all up for it! Liverpool would be my no.1 choice for a UK gig but I've decided to sideline myself since I've been to 4 already this year and the money is running low! :(

Hope everyone has a great time :)

8. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

I'm really looking forward to Liverpool !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Margaret

Margaret New Grayhead

Me too! Saw him in Manchester in July.Love the new album and band:)

nevermind likes this.
  10. Che

Che New Grayhead

Hello there

I have a single ticket in the second row and a pair of 3rd row tickets for this show for sale at cost. Further details in the tickets for sale thread.

Thanks

Wendy

nevermind likes this.
  11. daveeliver

Rena and nevermind like this.
  12. nevermind

Very interesting exhibition! Thanks @daveeliver ! Looking forward to seeing you all at the meet up!

13. nevermind

David Gray on going from playing in local Liverpool pubs to the Philharmonic
    [​IMG]
    Multi million album seller and multiple BRIT Award nominee David Gray
    “I lived up by Hardman Street for years so I mostly played in the pubs round there,” explains David, 46, fondly remembering his years in the city. “I went to art school and didn’t leave.

“Liverpool suited me, it’s somewhere I’ve always felt at home. I lived there for about six years altogether, between being a student then playing in pubs and busking.

“I used to like playing in Hardman House and the Black Horse (formerly on Berry Street).

“My favourite was probably Peter Kavanagh’s. I’d play in there to one man and his dog, trying out new songs.”

It was those songs that became his first album, A Century Ends, released in 1993. Twenty one years on, he’s still playing those songs, and next month at the Philharmonic Hall, he’ll be playing his favourite tracks from his 10 albums.

“I love the Phil,” he smiles, “It’s my favourite place to play.

“I was worried it might not be open in time, I said if I have to have a dressing room in a caravan then so be it as long as I can play the Phil.”

His back catalogue includes the phenomenal success of White Ladder (seven million copies sold), one of three UK number one albums, with records that became ubiquitous and others that needed to be sought out to be heard.

He’s particularly looking forward to playing songs from his latest album, Mutineers.

David’s collaborator, producer and occasional combatant during this raid on new horizons was Lamb’s Andy Barlow.

“His brief was - don’t let me make the same record I’ve made before, take me out of my comfort zone,” laughs David.

“And he’s a very gentle kind of guy, but courageous.

“He really took me on creatively in a way that no one else has ever done.

“So I thought, yeah, this is going to work, but it was a tortured process because I found it so hard to take at times that he would tear up bits of my work in front of my eyes.”

Out of the apparent traumas of that procedure “tears, furniture getting thrown,” something more sublime began to emerge.

“I was reaching, I was feeling for things rather than knowing and placing, and something far more interesting happened, and there’s such an authority about any recording that’s made in the heat of the moment when you’re actually discovering it as you’re recording it.”

It was spontaneity of process and feeling that, says David, recalled some aspects of making White Ladder, in a bedroom studio back in 1997.

“It was a very special thing that happened (with White Ladder) and it was only a blessing, but of course there are complications to the blessing. So the wonderful, graceful arc that it traced from obscurity into ubiquity was a tremendous thing and the entire upward curve of it was exhilarating in the extreme.

“And not only that, it didn’t have anyone’s permission, off we went.

“No one could take it away from us and it was a wonderful thing, but of course you go beyond a certain point and you’re just kind of up on this very high plateau, success, and the game has changed.

“But I think now it’s the morning after the night before – I don’t want to just be going on about that.

“Now I’ve got 15 years between me and it, and also I know I’ve done something that has an authority that is inspiring me and I don’t have to worry about my past. This record will speak, and then I think I’ll be understood and I think the question will change a little. The lovely thing about this is we’ve had the time to experiment, and the experiment has been a wonderful success so far.”

He still writes in the same way he did in his Liverpool flat.

“I always write melody first and lyrics second, so I started to write lyrics down and think, right, I’m going to put this to music now,” he says.

“And that was a bizarrely uncomfortable process.

“And I was layering my voice; something I just found myself doing on a lot of the new tracks. Again, to get away from the density of my voice, just the intensity of it, it’s so loud, it’s so intense, it’s so direct – so singing more softly, singing in falsetto, singing under the voice in a lower voice, finding new sounds, so that it was still me, but it sounded different.”

It’s a shift instantly audible on Mutineers, an album whose ancestry David sees as more in the neighbourhood of John Martyn’s Small Hours perhaps than its predecessors in his own catalogue.

“I got slightly away from the narrative of the kind of crucified middle aged man,” he says.

“I got into other more ethereal territory, and it was such a relief to me. And when these wide open vistas of the new sound began to emerge in front of my eyes, I rushed in.”

He’s philosophical about the future.

“I think if you’re going forward with an open heart, good things will happen,” says David.

“You have to sort of tear up the past and let it go.”
      • David Gray plays The Philharmonic Hall Liverpool on Monday, December 1.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/what...8146314?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

JustNat, Margaret, Main and 2 others like this.
  14. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

If I was someone that didn't know who DG was, and this was the first thing I've ever read about him, I'd be an instant fan. "I think if you're going forward with an open heart, good things will happen." Love that. A statement full of trust.

JustNat likes this.
  15. nevermind

Liverpool gig anticipation!

image.jpg

Margaret and Main like this.
  16. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

So excited about tonight. Just picked up the tickets...
    image.jpg

Stuart Ronayne and Main like this.
  17. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Times for tonight as posted by David's twitter image.jpg

Margaret likes this.
  18. Teemto

Teemto Active Grayhead

Have fun tonight everyone :D Got a scary feeling i'm gonna regret not turning up to this one.

If he brings out Nightblindness or Late Night Radio please do us all the sporting favour and damn right lie about it! :p

19. samrichardson93

samrichardson93 New Grayhead

Guys!!

I can't begin to explain what a rubbish day I have had! I am studying in Lancaster and I got the train to Liverpool Lime Street an hour and a half before my friend to collect our tickets only to find out it was delayed by half an hour from the original time I thought it would start.

We only got three David Gray songs before we had to leave for our train and whilst I accept it was our fault for being reliant on public transport I was so sad that we only got 20 minutes. It was a Birthday gift for my 21st and I am just so sad, he really was on top form, you could tell when he jumped from the piano during the first song. I have essays due in a week and tonight was supposed to be the perfect distraction, I really love David and his great music and he is such a rare talent!! :(

Not even the 6 bottles of beer have helped on the way home. Liverpool Philarmonic offered a refund only to realise we booked the tickets through David Gray. I didn't even want the money back, just wanted a top gig and the icing on the arsenic filled cake was checking the setlist when I got home!! :(

20. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

What ? You had to leave at say 9:15 ? Oh my..

Birdie and John like this.