future islands?!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by davidcotyalex, Apr 3, 2014.

1. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

getting ur groove on??!!!!

yo

Marcel, ak11 and nevermind like this.
  2. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

This guy is funny!
    The singing Wayne Rooney;)

davidcotyalex likes this.
  3. davidcotyalex

right??!! hilarious!

4. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

That was a proper death metal growl at the end!

5. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

what is he channelling?:Blackalien:

6. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

to be honest that song is pretty good

7. carmel59

I don't understand that kind of music

8. davidcotyalex

oh deffo I love it!! kinda pissed we are gonna miss them here in d but the three sisters at haim are a decent substitute ;)

9. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

lmao

10. davidcotyalex

11. tony

tony Active Grayhead

haha

12. carmel59

that video helped me understand that I don't want to understand, I'm writhing with the audience ,........... live the delusion.man...............who's he trying to convince? I'm wrestling with a question also..............best left unsaid..................I think there is something very contrived about this guy, all joking aside........can you imagine DG getting vulnerable and growling at the audience, cracks me up

13. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Snellypalooza 2015 ? :p

14. davidcotyalex

15. davidcotyalex

carmel u need to start gettin after it lol..........

Future Islands are amazing Snelly. Lead singer has a Hank Rollins vibe going on. Saw them at a small club 2 years ago and they killed it live. Totally agree w you Kevin.

16. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

Beingly overly dramatic and getting really close to the audience isn't exactly new. That and the growling lead me to believe these guys come or have been around the hardcore scene (or post hardcore, or punk or whatever), because there are certain elements there that are more of that world than just indie or synthpop. And if you dive into the death metal or metalcore scene, switching between growls and clean vocals is pretty standard (check something like Opeth:
    ). Yeah, the dance moves are crazy, but when you look at the whole thing you first crack up, but then start thinking if this is stupid or actually brilliant. I'm beginning to think it's the latter. If nothing else then for the pure entertainment value.

Also you have to remember a lot of it is obviously an act, it's a performance. We don't know how vulnerable the guy really is on stage, but I can guarantee you DG has his fair share of performances where he just pours his heart out there (
    ?). What this guy does is just a bit more avant garde.

carmel59 likes this.
  17. carmel59

I had never seen that DG video, now there is absolutely nothing contrived about that, he draws you in, swirls you around in his lyrics and emotion and leaves you amazed at the raw talent.

I love alot of different genre but when there is growling, darker influences, I'm going to turn away. This guy just seems like he's trying to hard to be truthful
    [. You're right, I'm making a personal judgement on his vulnerability. Maybe he is. But the video DC put up(on the bands background) just convinced me he is trying too hard.

Opeth----when I got the lyrics up, my computer froze up, weird heh? that is anti-music, in my opinion. we could get into a real deep discussion about what is music, what is its purpose, what are the artists' intentions in what they put out there, I go '''round and 'round with my son about these things, he's a club DJ.

No one will convince me this is music ( Opeth) On the positive side Opeth made Future Islands sound just fantastic!!!!:eek:

Last night as I lay peacefully in bed, I had on World Cafe, guess what was playing....Future Islands new song, the dj said the album was fantastic. So, I know nothing.........:confused:

nevermind likes this.
  18. carmel59

who are you kidding? that review was as hilarious as the performance!!!!!

"the sincere chest pumping" .........."pleading for empathy" the writer watched it over and over and over......... jumping on the strange bandwagon,,,,,,,,:yawn::yawn:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  19. carmel59

I'd need a HUGE shot of 10 Cane to get through "music" like that. I'm finding this very amuzing...........Hank Rollins, you''re just being funny now......especially if you knew me......there will be no convincing. bring back the "plaid shirts"!!!!!!

20. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

There's a lot of weirder stuff in the world than what has been posted here. That's why I don't find it too strange to at all. :vulcan:

nevermind and davidcotyalex like this.