Gulls

Discussion in 'The Lyrics' started by carmel59, Dec 2, 2013.

1. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

This is a powerful song for me, not sure why, brings up a lot of emotion. The piano sounds like the one my grandmother had. The crescendo is "church". The song really soars for me. Beautiful

nevermind likes this.
  2. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

I agree, I like the distortion. It's just enough to give it an other-worldly feel without losing the beauty of the music. I love his voice, so I kind of wish his voice was more prominent, but really all the sounds meld together perfectly for this one.

nevermind likes this.
  3. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

First watched the video on my way back from work this afternoon, I was not 100% sure about the sound in the beginning.

Tonight I listened again, full equipment working and now I am quite impressed, there is though a large build up on this one (last song on the album so makes sense...) but round 2:25 the song really opens up and the sound is less filtered in a way... great work !
    :headphone:

jan, carmel59 and Raymond like this.
  4. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

I think we hear mr barlow as well :)

Marcel likes this.
  5. carmel59

I believe that also. I love how the old time piano is juxtaposed with the electronic. Listened again this evening on the heavy duty equipment and there are some fierce bass frequencies I didn't hear first listen. Also the sounds that fade, then others emerge is genius.

jan and RosalieEP like this.
  6. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

This is sonically the most interesting song DG has put out since.. Nemesis.. or LISM (the album)?

jan, thefox, Marcel and 1 other person like this.
  7. davidcotyalex

hallefecke3nyujah AK and i are in 100% agreement for once!!!

loving what is happening here on so many levels :cool:

8. CMA

CMA New Grayhead

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the "Foundling" album from start to finish, I never got that feeling that comes over when you listen to many many of David Gray's songs...This new song "Gulls" is a full return to that!! It's awesome, such a David Gray sound

ak11 likes this.
  9. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

I love how the "Toward the seed that God sown" part fades away as the song builds, as if flying away. The song breaks away from the gentle rhythm and repetition as he cries out that he's fighting against these forces, but the repetition comes back and eventually he subdues back to the rhythm. It's brilliant. To me, this is what sets DG apart from every other musician I love. The music itself adds a whole layer of meaning and elevates the significance of the song.

jan, Rena, carmel59 and 3 others like this.
  10. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

Now I'll have to plug in to my equipment. I thought my headphones did it justice but now I'm curious... haha

ak11 and davidcotyalex like this.
  11. carmel59

The more I listen the more I hear, I may be going "off the deep end" but my imagination is kicking in now and I hear, like a fog horn or a horn from a barge, gulls calling, like I'm on the water, thats why I think its a masterful mix, what the music actually does to the mind.

nevermind likes this.
  12. jan

jan Member Grayhead

Im still absorbing this one....there's a lot of repetition that I personally, sometimes struggle with (imho) but that being said--
    the "harpsicordy piano" is hauntingly effective...the impact of his voice and emotional tone from 2:25-2:47 is brilliant!!
    Its that kind of "kick in the chest" impact that made me fall for his voice in the first place.
    I havent had the exposure to some of these new songs like many of you..but I think I like this version better than the live ones I saw from the tour.

Marcel, RosalieEP, ak11 and 1 other person like this.
  13. davidcotyalex

you marcel myself we are all commenting on the 2:25 moment...couldn't agree more

just saw your little footnote - well done there ;)

Marcel, RosalieEP and nevermind like this.
  14. NALung

NALung New Grayhead

Many errors in the lyrics posted above. Try these...
    "This land belongs to the gulls
    And the gulls to their cry
    And their cry to the wind
    And the wind belongs to no-one
    The wind belongs to no-one
    I gave my breath to the song
    To the song, wasn't mine
    Neither of ship nor of sea
    Neither of glass nor of wine
    Leaving this ghost of a road
    I'm climbing hand over hand
    Toward that pinprick of light