July 8 2016 Greenwich The Old Royal Naval College

Discussion in 'Tour 2016' started by Rena, May 9, 2016.

1. chris johnson

chris johnson Member Grayhead

I know David has been known to walk like jagger, but "dad dance"? Being an American, maybe I'm out of the loop. Anyway glad you had a good time. Again, wish I had been there.

nevermind likes this.
  2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Hey folks, David's dancing was passionate, he was so into the music. I loved every bit of it. Review to follow!

nevermind and John like this.
  3. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Juhuuuuu!! The first video appeared.
    Thanks to John Smith on the guitar. He made it well!

This is an awesome version! David in his element. Say Hello Wave Goodbye.. The crowd's singing:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

my comment was directed at the author not our boy ... I think DG's on stage antics are well chronicled and this twhat's characterization as "dad dancing" imho is bordering on disrespect. just to be clear. :)

Rena likes this.
  5. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

My comment was not directed at you DCA. I know the true fan that you are you would never be disrespectful of David. My comment was just a general statement into the direction of that author :)

Speaking of disrespect. I have never experienced anyone as disrespectful to an artist as the two young women sitting on the VIP seats right behind us. Chatting and laughing throughout the concert without even a single break. I am sure they enjoyed themselves but they made it a bit hard to concentrate on the music.

John, nevermind and davidcotyalex like this.
  6. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

#vipproblems :p:p:):)

John, nevermind and Rena like this.
  7. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I had been very excited about this concert for weeks now. It's been a year since I had last seen David doing that outstanding performance in Lucerne. Way too long. Way too long indeed.

It was hard to predict what the setlist would be like. In regard to the audience a greatest hits kind of setlist probably since many had paid a lot for VIP tickets that came with a meal so not necessarily all die hard fans. In short - David did so well in combining well known songs with those that not everyone in the audience would be familiar with. It was a beautiful mix of beautiful songs.

The setting was stunning. On the grounds of the old royal naval college by the river Thames with blue skies and warm temperatures. A night ready for magic to happen. And it did.

When David and the band came on stage and played the first chords of the wonderful Birds of the High Arctic I was blown away already. From the very first moment the band was so tight and on the spot, David was so into the music. Once again it was obvious that this is the best music on the planet in our times. I had seen other artists during that year but no one came even near to what was performed on stage in Greenwich on Friday night.

What a surprise to hear the beautiful Girl Like You and even a passionate rendition of Jackdaw! One of my all time favourites which I haven't heard live in years. So happy this was played!

In the beautiful Nightblindness David sang about the magic hour and this night was truly magic.

At the beginning of Babylon everyone got onto their feet and up to the rails to turn the last five songs into a happy dancing and sing along fest. The atmosphere was just amazing. What a vibe.

There was not a weak moment during the concert. Each and every song was a new high. Such stunning excellence from David and his great band.

Thanks to David for a wonderful evening and thanks to Tim, Robbie, Keith and John for their outstanding performance. It was a privilege to be able to attend this evening.

Here's to next time! Hopefully it won't take another year. I have post gig withdrawal symptoms already. And they are severe.

Special thanks to the great company. Hans, Marcel, Dave, Wolfie, Sheila, CrazyCanadian and friend and everyone else we have met. It was great seeing you again!

8. chris johnson

Sounds like it was a wonderful show! Oh, how I wish I had been there. Nice to hear a song dedicated to Olivia, who must be a great partner for our David!

9. Main

Main Active Grayhead

I am glad you had a magical night. The venue looked fantastic!

nevermind and davidcotyalex like this.
  10. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

So guys, not had much time but I will try and give you a little review ;)

First of all, what a nice place for a gig... weather permitting LOL..
    IMG_1320 (Small).JPG

IMG_1325 (Small).JPG

Luckily the weather was perfect, the back of the stage was on the river Thames and with the sun slowly setting this was a perfect scenery for some good music !

IMG_1333 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1329 (Small).JPG

Maz O'Connor was the first opener, talented lady with a very good voice.

Then John Smith performed some new and familiar tunes for us (and kept saying cheers... :rolleyes:), I do not recall the name of the first song but thought that one was pretty good, would love to hear that one very soon again...

IMG_1346 (Small).JPG

Then it was time to see DG and band, starting with Birds David made sure he was here to do business... Well we already knew that looking at our ticket prices :D But just kidding, this was a very good and energetic start !

IMG_1359 (Small).JPG

Nightblindness was just superb, with David singing Purple Rain more prominent than ever before, which was no coincidence after Prince's quite recent death. I so enjoyed this version, very nice !

David performed Snow in Vegas solo on piano, which I managed to get....

IMG_1372 (Small).JPG

David dedicated Girl Like You to his daughters, it it was their favorite... and they were dancing on the side of the stage most of the night which must have been something for David to be very proud about... His daughters appeared to know all the lyrics too... excellent !

I managed to stream a bit of Babylon, and soon everyone got up and joined the party... see the result here https://www.periscope.tv/marcelhofma/1lPKqzByVAwGb

The last few songs were really lively and a perfect end of the gig, lovely to see all of you enjoy and till next time :happy:

Attached Files:

11. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Thank you Marcel! Looks like it was an awesome show..
    Would have loved to be there ;)

Oh yeah... "If I had a million dollars, I’d blow it on champagne - maybe oysters too" Hahaha :D

Here's one of my all time favourites: Botha (it was a bit windy during the recording I guess). David has improved his voice on this song, if you ask me.. A bit of soul in the air.. *sigh*
    Also the band just smashes it out. Also his dancing... He just found his self out on stage, when I see him dancing there! Oh David - well done! I like this pureness and self consciousness!

And another all time favourite:

I would say Tim and John are doing a great job on here (Keith, Robbie and David of course as well)..

wolfie, carmel59, nevermind and 2 others like this.
  12. Main

Main Active Grayhead

Thanks for the reviews, pics and links to videos! Girl Like You happens to be the fave song of my daughter too... :) I wished we could have been there.

nevermind and Marcel like this.
  13. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Next time, @Main. Next time :)

14. Main

Main Active Grayhead

I sure hope so! :)

15. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian Member Grayhead

Rena and Marcel, you described the evening perfectly, and the photos, well, I feel like I am there all over again...!!!! I was so overwhelmed by the magic of the evening that tears rolled down my face!!! It, for me, was simply breathtaking... the venue, the vibe of the crowd, the band, oh the band... there were spot on... and the sound of DG... the absolute perfection is still resonating through my mind.. Thankyou DG... I will not soon, or ever, forget this evening for as long as I live.... It was especially nice to see Rena, Nevermind, Marcel and Dave... you are all wonderful people.. I can say I'm proud to be a part of the DG "family"... thanks to you all... until the next time!!! let's hope the wind blows us together soon for yet another show or perhaps a tour!! Until then.. xx

Stuart Ronayne and Rena like this.
  16. chris johnson

Thanks for all the reviews and the performance videos. I agree that something extra good was happening with David's voice. Even with my listening three times removed from the performance he seemed especially good. What a treat!

17. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Here we go: Some more videos appeared. Lovely crowd!

wolfie likes this.
  18. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian Member Grayhead

AWESOME!! I think I can hear myself!!! What a superb show!