Leonard Cohen!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by nevermind, Feb 13, 2014.

1. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Inspired by ak11's Glen Hansard post I will restart my threat from the old retired forum as well.

First of all Leonard Cohen's musical director Roscoe Beck recently said that he'll work on Leonard Cohen's new album and "maybe a little more touring with Leonard at the end of the year" :)

Now a few encouraging words by Leonard Cohen himself!
    A live improvisation from his session at the BBC in 1968:D

2. nevermind

We are waiting since 2012 for David Gray's new album. May be this is one of his reasons for the delay:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Crazy Canadian, JackieJo and KirstenH like this.
  3. nevermind

If you want to know a bit more about Leonard Cohen this year there will be many new books on him! So far 9 new books are confirmed and I guess there will be more!

From the leonardcohenforum.com
    Thanks to Jarkko! http://leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic.php?

* Leonard Cohen on Leonard Cohen: Interviews and Encounters, (Musicians in Their Own Words), Edited by Jeff Burger
    * Leonard Cohen. Almost Young. A Tribute: Mit einen Text von Michaela Angermair
    * A Broken Hallelujah - Leonard Cohens' Secret Chord by Liel Leibowitz
    * So Long, Marianne - A Love Story by Kari Hesthamar
    * Leonard Cohen - An Illustrated Record. Compiled by Editors of Plexus
    * Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows by Harvey Kubernik

Update (February 20): books 7 -9 (scroll down for details)

* On tour with Leonard Cohen - Photographs by Sharon Robinson
    * Leonard Cohen and Philosophy. Edited by Jason Holt
    * The Wordless Leonard Cohen Songbook By George Walker (Limited hand made edition of 80 books / everyman's edition)​

The page with all the details is at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/newbook2014.html

KirstenH likes this.
  4. nevermind

Watch Leonard Cohen promote his 1993 album The Future!
    This promotional video, from VHS, was never commercially released!

5. nevermind

Today is the birthday of Rob Hallett, the man who brought Leonard Cohen back on the road after 15 years! Rob is tour promoter of AEG.
    Thanks so much Rob!
    In an interview he talked about how he persuaded Leonard Cohen to go on tour again:

Leonard Cohen is finishing his UK arena tour - how did you talk him out of retirement?

"It took some time. Leonard was trying to make some of the money back that had been stolen. [Cohen's manager stole $9.5m (£6.2m) in the 1990s.] At first he said, 'I don't know if anyone wants to see me. You must be joking'. We went back and forth over a couple of years. In the end, I offered to finance the rehearsals and said, 'we'll do some warm-up dates in Canada, and lets see what we've got'.
    So we were about $3m (£2m) in and 16 shows in Canada and we knew that we had a monster on our hands. When I first put an O2 show on sale everyone said, 'what? Leonard Cohen in the O2?' And we sold out three. It's been a fantastic success. Everyone who's seen the show almost without fail is saying this is the best show they've ever seen in their lives."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7748935.stm
    [​IMG]
    Photo by J.S.Carenza III

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rena and daveeliver like this.
  6. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Rob is the coolest guy. I remember him running down the line of 100+ prison ward like security guards who tried to keep people from dancing at LC's encore at the Waldbuehne in Berlin and hushing them away from stage so everyone could have a party. Legend.

nevermind likes this.
  7. nevermind

Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man. An Interview with Lian Lunson.(feat. Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright, U2 ...)

Lian LUNSON’S latest musical documentary takes an intimate look at Leonard COHEN; legendary songwriter, poet and artist. With universal lyrics and haunting melodies, his music has spanned the test of time.

After filming Came So Far For Beauty”, a concert dedicated to COHEN’S music, LUNSON interweaves these performances together with interview snippets from Leonard and the artists who re-incarnated his songs for the occasion. The end result: a film rich with music, infused with moments of insight into a truly gifted artist. This is an inspiring documentary that will delight both the fans and the newly-converted.

Uploaded by SBSExclusives.

8. nevermind

Just one of many reasons why i like LC:

Avalanche - Leonard Cohen

Well I stepped into an avalanche,
    It covered up my soul;
    When I am not this hunchback that you see,
    I sleep beneath the golden hill.
    You who wish to conquer pain,
    You must learn, learn to serve me well.

You strike my side by accident
    As you go down for your gold.
    The cripple here that you clothe and feed
    Is neither starved nor cold;
    He does not ask for your company,
    Not at the centre, the centre of the world.

When I am on a pedestal,
    You did not raise me there.
    Your laws do not compel me
    To kneel grotesque and bare.
    I myself am the pedestal
    For this ugly hump at which you stare.

You who wish to conquer pain,
    You must learn what makes me kind;
    The crumbs of love that you offer me,
    They're the crumbs I've left behind.
    Your pain is no credential here,
    It's just the shadow, shadow of my wound.

I have begun to long for you,
    I who have no greed
    I have begun to ask for you,
    I who have no need.
    You say you've gone away from me,
    But I can feel you when you breathe.

Do not dress in those rags for me,
    I know you are not poor
    You don't love me quite so fiercely now
    When you know that you are not sure,
    It is your turn, beloved,
    It is your flesh that I wear.

Rena likes this.
  9. nevermind

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Rena likes this.
  10. nevermind

The blogger Allan Showalter published a very high efficiency PowerPoint version of Leonard Cohen's 'First We Take Manhattan'!
    Enjoy!

"Leonard Cohen’s conventional live performance of First We Take Manhattan requires 6+ minutes to perform.1 Who has that kind of time? By eliminating textual redundancies (How many times do you need to hear someone tell you “I’d really like to live beside you, baby?”) and the singing, the condensed content of the song can be presented in PowerPoint format in less than 2 minutes – without the need for backup singers, a band, or wear and tear on Mr Cohen’s knees."

They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
    For trying to change the system from within...

http://1heckofaguy.com/2014/04/05/v...on-of-leonard-cohens-first-we-take-manhattan/

Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leonardcohen/firstwetakemanhattan.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Rena likes this.
  11. KirstenH

KirstenH Active Grayhead

The singing Alex Ferguson.....legend.:cool:

12. nevermind

Lol! And he is still not retiring but he is busy working on his new album instead!

13. daveeliver

daveeliver Member Grayhead

Avalanche is probably my favourite song by Leonard. Though Bird on the Wire will be played when I leave this place.

nevermind and Rena like this.
  14. nevermind

Bono seems to have a crush on Leonard!
    Glad that Leonard is looking good!
    "According to a number of posts on Instragram and Twitter, Leonard spent some time on May 31, 2014 with Bono and Lian Lunson. There is some confusion about the location but it appears it happened in West Hollywood, CA."

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    https://www.facebook.com/LeonardCohenNewswire?fref=ts

15. nevermind

"Of course there are moments -- I suppose when you embrace your children, or kiss your beloved, or plunge into a pool of cold water -- when you forget who you are, when you forget yourself, and that's a very refreshing occasion, and it's paradise, there's no you. But you resurrect immediately, into Boogie Street. If you're lucky, you resurrect with the residue of the experience of paradise. But, as Roshi says, you can't live in paradise -- no restaurants or toilets." - Leonard Cohen (http://www.webheights.net/10newsongs/press/globe.htm)

If you fancy Leonard Cohen this event in August 2014 is the place to be! Dublin isn't exactly paradise but it's close by thou with Restaurants and toilets ;-)

Leonard Cohen Festival for Dublin in August
    Thursday 12 Jun 2014

[​IMG]
    Leonard Cohen Event taking place this August

A festival dedicated to the work of Leonard Cohen runs from August 7-10, featuring music, film and literature relating to the Canadian singer. Events will take place in Dublin’s Liberty Hall.

See www.leonardcohenforum.com for tickets and info.

In the spring of 2000, a group of fans, many already known online to one another through the Leonard Cohen Forum and Leonardcohenfiles.com, gathered in his native Montreal in celebration of his art. Thus the bi-annual Leonard Cohen Event was conceived, organised by fans for fans.

Since the first gathering in Montreal in 2000, the Leonard Cohen Event has captivated audiences in Hydra (Greece) New York, Berlin, Edmonton, Krakow, and Madison (USA).

Now the festival comes to Dublin, with a programme which includes a screening of footage from concerts performed on his 2013 tour. This footage has been provided by his manager, Ed Sanders, especially for the Dublin Event.

An afternoon of Cohen through the spoken word features the noted Irish writer, memoirist and sometime broadcaster, John MacKenna. A friend of the singer for years, John interviewed Cohen at length for a series of radio programmes for RTÉ. Two Dublin writers, Dermot Bolger and Gerard Smyth, will also take part.

International bands and artists performing Cohen songs include Ali & the Thieves from Australia and Patricia O’Callaghan from Canada. Irish musicians and bands include Gerry Tully, The Van Diemens and Tir na nÓg.

Tickets are available now for the Leonard Cohen Event. Booking and programme details are available on www.leonardcohenfiles.com

sourcehttp://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0612/623367-leonard-cohen-festival-for-dublin-in-august/

KirstenH and Rena like this.
  16. KirstenH

KirstenH Active Grayhead

That sounds like a lovely gathering, by the fans for the fans. It has been in Madison, Wisconsin?
    Maybe someday a DG festival.....with restaurants and toilets? :)

17. nevermind

Yep, four years ago the LC event took place in Madison!
    It would be great if we could have someday a DG event as well! The only thing we need is a few more dedicated DG fans! Someday...
    BTW we have already a David Gray Event section on this forum :)
    http://www.davidgrayforum.com/forums/david-gray-events/

KirstenH likes this.
  18. KirstenH

KirstenH Active Grayhead

I have 500 acres that would work, but I am a little light on restaurants and toilets. I'm afraid it would be more Woodstock than gilded theater. ;)

nevermind likes this.
  19. nevermind

Leonard's beautiful and touching Prince of Asturias Awards speech in which he described how he got his song ! A real poet!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  20. nevermind

daveeliver likes this.