Letterkenny, Co. Donegal - An Ghrianán Theatre - Dec 2, 2013

Discussion in 'Tour 2013 in Ireland Sounding Out' started by Rena, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

All conversation about the December 2, 2013 show at An Ghrianán Theatre - Letterkenny, Co. Donegal can go into this thread. This includes all the excitement, pre-concert meet ups and post concert conversations, reports, setlists...

2. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Lucky me, I am going to this one !

Please post any hints here for the best pubs and things I cannot miss... I will probably not have enough time to research it myself... I am lucky even to figure out how to get there ;)

I read somewhere the maximum capacity of this place is about 300 ?

So looking forward to it, it will be the start of lots of new things.. very excited !

Take care,

Marcel.

3. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

I look forward to getting an in depth report following this show tomorrow evening. I hope it's fantastic for you, Marcel!

Seneca

4. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Have a great time Marcel and anyone else who is lucky enough to be going, these shows are just gonna be so special. really can't wait to hear all about it.

:)

5. JackieJo

JackieJo Active Grayhead

It is the season of waiting...hope to hear soon, Marcel!

6. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

Yeah, I thought today would be our lucky day. Ah well... Hope Marcel had a good night :

7. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

I am sure Marcel and everyone else going have to recover from what surely has been a splendid evening. So looking forward to a nice report...

8. Marcel

Reports here later today from Wolfie and myself..

Great night, stay tuned but we have to travel...

Marcel.

9. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Safe travels everyone!

10. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

This photo was taken from the Donegal Daily:

11. nevermind

Attached files [​IMG]

12. nevermind

I think I spot Marcel on the photo!

13. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

lol nevermind.........he is a good guide post for a ga crowd!!!

love it..............looks tremendous and intimate..............so funny on the drums!

14. Marcel

Monday, December 2nd
    An Ghrianán Theatre
    Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

the band
    Robbie Malone (guitar, bass, vocals)
    Caroline Dale (cello, vocals)
    David Kitt (guitar, vocals)
    Niamh Farrell (vocals)
    Lisa O'Neill (piano/keyboard, vocals)

First of all, logistics for this gig were rather complex and planning had to be done only days before.. The way the ticket sales were organised did not help, then again in the end we had tickets and were able to go !

I arrived in Letterkenny early afternoon, after enjoying some of the countryside from public transport.. it all worked out fine and Co Grayhead Wolfie was already there.

Luckily we were early enough for the best seats in the house as this was a GA event. Lisa O'Neill was the support act and she was funny as always, and her stories did well with the Irish. She did 4 or 5 songs I think and David Gray started round 9.
    You might have seen the setlist, quite an ambition to come up with 4 fully new songs, then a new one for most and then an older obscure song... Some people must have thought this evening would be slightly different than planned but I loved it this way !

Gulls is a real winner for me, and the harmony with the band and the singing is really something they have achieved in very little time. This is a real DG trademark tune, and very well performed. First heard it live on RTE South Wind blows, but to hear it live on stage is even better... wow !

Dun Laoghaire is growing on me, also performed well and better than the night before at RTE1. Same for Skellig, David singing with a higher voice here. Dancing was performed with Lisa and she did well here, a little bit less prominent than the night before. What to say about Aint No Love ? This could possibly be the best ever track and in this vocal setup comes out really well, I loved the girls singing...

Talking about girls, Niamh Farrell is a bit at the back but is singing very well and looks a bit shy but what a lovely girl ! And whilst on the subject, what a total pro is Caroline Dale, right perfectionist if you ask me, hardly a note wrong and sings very well too... and seems so in control and relaxed.. well done.

After Aint No Love David told us that is about what they had practiced and he started doing 5 or 6 tunes by himself, and had to improvise a bit on the lyrics. The band made his comeback at Kathleen and Nemesis was interesting as always, with David Kitt on guitar alongside David Gray. TYL did well with the audience and there was no doubt there would be an encore...

Another new tune ! The Incredible, on which David joked his new album might be called "David Gray - The Incredible"... Great tune, and the band was never been able to get it right in rehearsals...but this time round it all seemed to be perfect and afterwards there was great enthusiasm with the band.. high fives going round.

Babylon and Sail both were a coming home for David, with lots of the audience singing along and leaving the night with great smiles and happiness

Now on to Bangor Abbey for the next set !

Marcel.

LEKRAUSS01 likes this.
  15. Marcel

16. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Thank you so much for this Marcel . The next best thing to being there. Sounds like an amazing evening. You lucky lucky people!!!

17. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

New songs, obscure old songs, small venue...sounds like the perfect show to me. Thanks for the set list and impressions, Marcel.

So is Gulls the only song from the new album he's playing? I couldn't tell if The Incredible was going to be on it, or if he was just joking about it being the title of the album. Anyway, yes, Gulls is very classic DG, at his existential best! After listening to it a few hundred more times (ha!) I think I hear a little Vince Guaraldi in there somewhere (Charlie Brown composer).

Oh, question...Cake? Should I know what that is??

18. Seneca

Seneca Active Grayhead

That's a very cool setlist. Thank you for sharing!

19. Elysium

Elysium Active Grayhead

Haha I thought... Cake too?
    Thanks Marcel for a wonderful review. what an experience this must have been, wow what a setlist.
    Safe travels to the next gig.

:(

20. s06

s06 New Grayhead