May 4, 2014 Danforth Music hall, Toronto, ON

Discussion in '2014 April/May - USA and Canada' started by davidcotyalex, Apr 1, 2014.

1. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

please post here all thoughts / comments / hopes and dreams / etc etc for this show

2. Dontfalldown

Dontfalldown New Grayhead

I have an extra seat for tonight's show. 6th row. Can meet in front of The Danforth.

3. Kari

Kari Member Grayhead

For everyone going to the last show of the tour tonight have a fantastic time. Not sure how the band will out do last night from all the phone calls, tex and messages I received it was sensational. Enjoy the night....

Eileen and Sarah.j like this.
  4. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Have a fabulous night closing out the tour!

5. Eileen

Eileen Member Grayhead

Hoping we hear from someone who made it to this, the last show of this tour.
    I have loved reading all these reviews and looking forward to "the big tour" this summer :D

jan likes this.
  6. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Toronto - May 4, 2014

Gulls

Dun Laoghaire

Back In The World

As the Crow Flies

Mutineers

Last Summer

Incredible

Cake

Snow In Vegas

Girl Like You

Beautiful Agony

Birds of the High Arctic

Shine (solo)

TYL

Ain't No Love

Kathleen

Fugitive

TOIL

Sail Away

Babylon

----------------------------

Laughing Gas

Nemesis

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    ak11, Rena, nevermind and 4 others like this.
  7. davidcotyalex

wolfie hope you are hanging in there dearest....................everyday is a saturday remember?!

#onelove

ps I keep trying to tell myself the same thing :(

thefox, John, nevermind and 3 others like this.
  8. wolfie

dca, I hope YOU are hanging in there. :)

This is the end of the tour and I have a few thoughts to get out....

Hard to believe that the first Mutineers tour has come and gone. I feel so incredibly grateful and lucky that David chose to debut the Mutineers tour here in the US. I will never forget the joy I felt at hearing all the songs in Los Angeles at the first show. I am so, so proud of what David has accomplished with this album. It is brilliant!!!

From the moment I heard Gulls in Ireland I was hooked. I got so used to hearing that stripped down version that it took me a while to get used to this version. A beautiful and haunting song and one of my favorites. Back in the World to me is just a very upbeat and positive song that is even better live, especially with Keith just killing it on the drums. Cake and Eat It is maybe not the longest or deepest song on the album but it's very fun live and I continue to love it. Mutineers builds into something really special and is worthy of being the title track. Last Summer has become one of my favorites. A love song with cello from Caroline that tugs at my heart. Beautiful Agony... David said at one show "that's pretty much how life feels to me." I will always associate this one in my mind with the whirligigs spinning in the air. Snow in Vegas kind of broke my heart a little because I miss David on the piano. However, the lyrics of this song are so imbedded in my heart that it remains a favorite. Birds of the High Arctic is one of the best songs David has ever written. I could listen to it all day, every day. The lyrics, the music, the swing of emotion and energy - it all just works to absolute perfection. I love this song. I love this album.

I equally love this band that David has put together. Perfect mix of old and new. By the end of the tour it seemed to me that they had been playing together forever. I love to watch their interaction together onstage. Lots of smiles , knowing looks and laughter. I have to give a special shout out to the two ladies - Niamh and her beautiful voice, beautiful smile, her beautiful heart, and Caroline who I pretty much admire and respect in every way.

This tour had a lot of very special personal moments for me and I hope I have sufficiently and privately thanked all those who were a part of making them so special. However, a very special thank you must go out to dca. Dca, THANK YOU! We have had such a complicated relationship. Thank you for letting me in a little more and letting me see the real you. Thank you for wanting to be my friend. Thank you for including and encouraging me in all. There is so much more I want to say to you and yet I find I don’t even have the words for all of it. I’m sorry if this isn’t enough. Please know from the bottom of my heart what all of it has meant to me. Mainly know that your greatest gifts to me have been to fear the unknown less and embrace flying closer to the sun, even if it means occasionally getting burned. Thanks for letting me fly with you. XO

David Gray’s music continues to be the music of my life. The bright spot in my life. The joy in my life. I am never happier or smile more than at a show. Thanks to everyone who posted reviews, photos and videos from this tour. I’ve enjoyed it all.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    KirstenH, Marcel, nevermind and 9 others like this.
  9. tony

tony Active Grayhead

to everyone on this board sharing their experiences a big thank you. but especially to you wolfie, i wanted to thank you for all your contributions along those two tours. i don't take it for granted that you sit down and spend so much time to let us kinda be there a bit as well. i really love reading your stuff, so thank you, thank you, thank you...

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    nevermind, Rena, Tinab and 4 others like this.
  10. jan

jan Member Grayhead

I whole heartedly second Tonys gratitude... thanks to all who share reviews, pics and vids....and to @wolfie and @dca, while I know its great fun--- it can also be exhausting traveling at the pace you do...so Im always amazed at how you faithfully you share details so we can be a part of it all. TY.

And while Im saying thanks... I wanted to send the same to @Marcel and @Rena for this very well done new board... Im late to the party and still getting caught up... but theres lots of great features here and as before in the old forums...both of you shine in your devotion and passion for DG and the way you share it with all his fans is impressive.
    TY to you both as well.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    Marcel, nevermind, Rena and 4 others like this.
  11. davidcotyalex

I have been sitting on this for a while now......trying to sort through the emotions I am feeling today. It has not been easy but on the other hand the last ten days have been so amazing that I drove out into the awesome texas sun today with a smile that so far hasn't diminished.

From the moment I asked you if you were headed east - like I didn't know the answer to that question lol - I have been looking forward to seeing ya.

so thanks for the kind words - as they do mean a lot to me. And I am very grateful for the time we were able to spend together - pc bar, night one when I was able to introduce you to all including well you know, to ray lol, and very much to the hang at the hudson after and then on to boston and all the craziness ........ are you kidding me????!!!!! to some extent our friendship is kinda what I am talking about - we are very different people leading very different lives but not only do we share this crazy love for all that is the david gray but we share a love of life........and to that extent to hear your words they do make me cry.....because THAT is what I am trying to do. I am trying to open minds. I am trying to share what I think is awesomeness. i do want to fly close to the sun.

End story I very much value our friendship. And I respect all that you are to this band and this man.....I have seen the way he talks to you.

so in a nut shell its been a mind blowing couple of gigs for me.....and spending some time with brothers I never thought would want to listen to my sheite.......but the gleam in your eye made the whole time absolute greatness.

enjoy your rest and gear up....................you have a hell of a summer to get ready for lmfao!!!

#onelove all!!!!!!!!!!!!

KirstenH, RosalieEP, Marcel and 4 others like this.
  12. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

Well-said, everyone.
    Here's to the sun, and that warm fuzzy feeling I think we're all getting as this leg comes to a close... You're all really and truly awesome people - and I'm glad that my ripe age has now permitted me to start getting to know you all, and make some good connections out there in that wide, yet small world. Call it..."graytfulness?" I'm so sure our paths will cross again many many more times.
    Like in the summer.
    *Cough.*

(Afterall, us Bostonians have a reputation to uphold!) And of course, all Grayheads are always welcome in my city :D

And since we're on this ****ing crazy bird binge via Sir Gray, my music-infused ADD just popped this Coldplay song into my head while reading this thread, and I think it compliments how we feel - forgive the musical fusion:
    "A simple plot, but I know one day
    good things are coming our way.."

Til next time!

13. wolfie

Tony, wow, that is really kind of you to say. Thank you so much.

Dca.... man... I'm finally home and reading what you wrote and yes, it's my turn to cry. Thanks for everything done and said. I walked in the door tonight shaking my head in disbelief at what all just happened and so much I owe to your friendship and your willingness to share. You've never wavered in your respect for me when it comes to DG and that is much appreciated. So just once more for good measure... THANK YOU!!

davidcotyalex and Marcel like this.
  14. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

:D

I just got an extra invoice from our hosting partner, as they will charge us extra as we are going over our love quota here... :p

Life is all about making choices. This tour I really had the feeling I might have done it wrong by staying at home, missing SnellyPalooza and then some amazing gigs where our friend did something I would not have anticipated... play this whole brilliant album live before it is even on the street :happy:

My turn to thank all of you for sharing the love for David's music and his brilliant band. Thanks to excellent fans like @wolfie we have been able to read set lists and reviews from every gig this tour, I know how difficult it can be whilst traveling to take the time and write something, but we all do appreciate it very much.

I am just glad I was able to do my bit, setup this forum and keep improving it. And it is with the help and sponsorship of people like @Rena , @davidcotyalex and @nevermind that I am able to do so.

This tour we got reassurance that the upcoming album is excellent, and the live act is still evolving, in fact more than ever in my opinion. I have always been convinced that going the Andy route was going to be good, but David made his job so much easier by coming up with some brilliant material. My goodness !

All the love !

KirstenH, Rena, Kari and 6 others like this.
  15. Marcel

Marcel Administrator Staff Member

Kari, jan, wolfie and 1 other person like this.
  16. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Thank you for posting that link also, there are some excellent ones of David Kitt , the one especially with him and his electric guitar Love, love, love B&W!!!! When a photographer gets it just right, a still can really capture the essence of what is happening, so good!

17. simon151

simon151 New Grayhead

Here is a copy of Birds Of The High Artic from Sunday night, I gonna upload the rest of the show to archive in the next day or so when I get some free time.
    Enjoy
    Simon

John, KirstenH, JackieJo and 10 others like this.
  18. tony

tony Active Grayhead

I love (undertstated) this song.
    Hope he catches some of that on the record...

Nice sound/recording Simon, thank you!

19. wolfie

Terrific photos and simon, thank you so much for the audio of Toronto!!

20. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

Can we all for just a second appreciate that the acronym for Birds of the high arctic is "Botha"..?

Rena, RosalieEP, Marcel and 1 other person like this.