Nov 17 2016 Boston MA USA CITI Schubert Theatre

Discussion in '2016 The Best of David Gray Tour USA/Canada' started by Rena, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

All the info about David's concert on Nov 17 2016 in Boston MA USA at the CITI Schubert Theatre can be posted here.

So who will be going to the first one of the solo acoustic concerts?

2. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian Member Grayhead

Hey Rena!!! I am going.. wouldn't miss it!!! I am very excited to hear DG solo....

3. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian Member Grayhead

Three sleeps....

John likes this.
  4. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

I'm with you - but on the other side of the world :D
    Can't wait for the european leg - also: I can't wait to read your infos of these shows and I can't wait also for all the videos, that might come up..
    Fingers crossed for a good video version of "dancing with both feet off the ground" with awesome sound quality ^^

5. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Can't wait to hear all about it!!

6. Jen Fogelson

Jen Fogelson New Grayhead

omg omg omfg

spoiler alert!!

I am not good at writing these things but all I have to say is, if DG is coming anywhere near you, drop everything and get there. Dave was in his element!

Setlist (may get a song name wrong)
    Shine
    L song
    the light!!!
    only the wine
    snow in vegas
    seek the truth (?)
    coming down
    falling free
    mystery of love
    the other side
    long distance call.
    last boat to america
    dun leery- not in an album and sorry about the spelling)
    fugitive
    nemesis

break

you're the world to me
    sail away
    babylon
    please forgive me
    smoke without fire

Introduces "good friend he hasn't played with in 10 years CLUNE!!!
    (there may be a song here i left out- busy trying to not to pass out from joy)
    be mine
    say hello waive goodbye

E
    this years love

Great acoustics, some cool looping effects by Dave and great energy. And most people didn't know the old stuff so no singing over David!

He said each night's show would be different than the last. I wish I was going to them all!!

Attached Files:

7. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

Song w/ Clune, left out..... The One I Love.

I'll second the omfg. I was in heaven from L's song on. When introduced "The Light" as coming from his first record and the "Flesh" record, an electrical charge went right through my body. I've been a fan since I bought A Centuries End in a no risk bin in 1993. I could stop playing Gathering Dust and Lead Me Upstairs. Flesh has always been my favorite to listen straight through. I never caught him on any of his stops in the US until after White Ladder was released and I saw him at the Avalon behind Fenway, Babylon hadn't hit yet. Half the room didn't pay attention and it was just David, Clune and a 3rd guy, I think. He didn't play a song from Flesh and I was heart broken. But he made up for it tonight, in spades. The Light, Coming Down and the Mystery of Love, I'd never heard live, Falling Free he played on show I caught in Ireland, and maybe one other time. He walked on promptly at 8, I expected an opener there was none. He took a 15 minute break and play a little past 11. He talked a lot more in this show than in any other show I've seen. Really explaining his thought process about how it felt to dig back into these songs, and looking into the mirror as his younger self, with his old bands mates. He described it as 4 dimensional. I've been lucky enough to see him a dozen times or so. I thought today was the best show I've seen. Cloud 9, hour and half drive home didn't take the edge off yet, need a drink!

8. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

CLUUUUUUUNE!!!! I'm so glad i went to this show - twas my 10th gig with DG, and damn this was a pinnacle experience in my young adult life. Kudos to y'all for getting on to post them reviews before me!

Dave played for about 2:45hrs - it was truly a full evening with DG... He described this gig as "a musical X-Ray... You're just gonna hear me and what I am.."

Highlights:
    Clune (duh) / the light (on capo 2) / mystery of love / long distance call (with some atmospheric ethereal effects) / last boat / sail away (piano) / Say Hello Wave Goodbye - looped and kept singing with clune and slowly walked off the stage... and lastly "Enter Lightly" was such a lush play on my imagination... I could feel the builds and the chills in the actual song even though it was just he and his piano. His voice just took it right where it was supposed to be.

...and may I just say his Martin's and Steinway sounded ...just so... (choose one) pristine, ethereal, pure, crystal clear, god-like... He pulled some absolutely stunning tracks out of the catalogue that i've longed to hear for AGES. He also played a few songs with a looper pedal for his guitar (how modern, good sir!) - - - Only the wine/mystery of love/nemesis/say hello wave goodbye

Lastly, in a strange twist of fate, I spotted my 4th grade teacher from 15+ years ago at the gig, we recognized each other instantly, and to quote Monty Python, "there was much rejoice." Upon discovering we're both huge david gray fans.....she told me her husband "knows people", and as it turns out, we wound up going to the back with them for a lil good ol' fashioned post-gig drink with DG & Crew. I saw Clune, and shared a moment with him with a little reminder (he helped get 14-year-old "thefox" and family into our first proper Boston gig at the Agganis Arena - months after his "Avalon" pre-LISM album tour AKA the one with all the technical faults that David Nolte wrote about in a tour diary from years ago. Clune's a wild and free spirit, but he's got a special place in my heart. He also created a monster... ;))

After flipping out with Clune + beer, thanking DG for an incredible 10th gig for me, I found out that DG has crammed his head with "about 80 songs for this tour." Every show in the US will have at least 8 or 9 different songs that stem from 2 or 3 different albums. Ours were Flesh/ANDAM/First-gig-of-tour "meandering" as he said. SPOILER: Next gig will be picking from LISM/Foundling/Lost Songs (and hooooollly sheeeiiiit you people at DC will get an amazing handful!) ALSO!! More spoilers!! His tentative goal for a new album is by mid-end of next year! He's havin' a ball in the studio! Gah! Okay, i'll stop freaking out as always. *Breathes...*

Wow, people...just wow.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    ak11, Lou, carmel59 and 5 others like this.
  9. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

Heads still buzzing, wishing I had tickets for NYC

10. DogearedCarrie

DogearedCarrie Member Grayhead

Oh my gosh, that sounds like such a special show! CLUNE! And lucky you for getting back stage after! Hearing he'll be pulling from Lost Songs tonight makes me so excited! Little less excited for the other two albums since they are more recent, but I'll take what he is willing to give out! The stop that gets songs from Sell, Sell, Sell is who I will be REALLY jealous of - that album has some of my all-time favorites.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Can't wait for tonight!

wolfie and HB in VA like this.
  11. HB in VA

HB in VA Member Grayhead

To quote thefox...hooooollly sheeeiiiit! I cannot wait to see what he has in store for us tonight!!

Crazy Canadian likes this.
  12. Bdub15

Bdub15 New Grayhead

After Smoke Without Fire, he did:

The One I Love (with Clune)

And I think "seek the truth" is actually his new song, Enter Lightly

nevermind and John like this.
  13. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

Thank you so much for all the fast reviews!! It's great to read your impressions - and wheeeeey! The forum is back alive ;)

The first glimpses are so promising - can't wait for more.. And of course for the european leg ;)

The Light, catched by @Jen Fogelson - thank you!:

Mystery of Love:

carmel59, nevermind and wolfie like this.
  14. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

@Jen Fogelson, thank you for posting the set list so quickly. Also, I found your video of "The Light" on youtube and I could hug you right now. It is exactly what I needed! Thank you for taking it and posting it!! Thanks also to everyone else who posted about the show. I am kicking myself a thousand times over for missing this show... have to keep reminding myself that my turn is coming (but damn...). Sounds like an amazing show and I'm thrilled for those who were there. I screamed when I read that Clune was there and then again when I saw the picture DG posted of them. Just awesome... Thanks, again, show reporters.

Crazy Canadian, nevermind and John like this.
  15. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

Uploading some Grayhead gold now... hang tight...

The One I Love:

Be Mine:

Say Hello Wave Goodbye:

KirstenH, carmel59, VickiC and 3 others like this.
  16. John

John Well-Known Grayhead

@thefox Is this true? You catched them ? <3

17. thefox

thefox Active Grayhead

nevermind and John like this.
  18. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

@thefox , THANK YOU!! For taking and sharing your videos, thank you! Sounds even better than I imagined and seeing/hearing Clune up there with DG is just AMAZING!!!!

nevermind likes this.
  19. Jen Fogelson

Jen Fogelson New Grayhead

@wolfie You are welcome:cat: @thefox Hanging backstage must have made last night even better than imagined. You are much cooler than I am! I can upload 1/2 of Say Hello, Waive Goodbye- that's all I got. I can't wait for more setlists and videos!

wolfie likes this.
  20. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Thanks all for sharing your reviews, videos an pictures! Amazing! Can't wait for David's European leg of the tour!
    I would have loved to see Clune with David on stage after so many years!!!!!!!
    @Jen Fogelson @Ted K @thefox @DogearedCarrie @John :)