Permission to use lyrics

Discussion in 'Help' started by Beverley Hughes, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Beverley Hughes

Beverley Hughes New Grayhead

I am a new author and I'm currently writing a book about my life in 2002, 2003. White Ladder was a gift to me from a man I was in love with at the time and the soundtrack basically told my story. I'm trying to find out how to get permission to use the lyrics. When I first started writing the book, I contacted someone and they wrote back and asked for more information, but I was just in the planning stages. Now I cannot find that email address or the person's name.

I'm only using a line or two here and there in the book - the lines that truly spoke to me at that time.

I cannot tell you what this music meant to me during this period of my life and it is so integral to this book. There will be a giant hole in the book if I cannot use the lyrics.

This is also a great marketing tool for David. A lot of people haven't heard of him or his music. My genre is romance - a $38 BILLION dollar industry. The lyrics will speak to the women who read my books and I project a huge bump in sales of not only White Ladder, but a lot of David's music.

Thanks so much for any assistance you can give!

2. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Hi Beverley,

welcome to the forum. Most people on here will understand how David's lyrics can have a huge impact on someone's life.

As for permission to use some of David's lyrics you need to contact his management. Only they are in a position to grand you legal permission.

Good luck and good success for your book.

-Rena