The Head and the Heart

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by davidcotyalex, Nov 22, 2013.

1. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

so.....................while we wait!!!

as some will remember we discovered these guys a few years ago - and kudos to rena who pointed them out after seeing them in support of the national I think in Berlin - even before they released the self release!!!

anyhoooooo...............they released their second album a month ago and it cracked billboard's top ten out of the gate!!! They have certainly grown a lot in these three years or so - a ton of touring together has helped a ton - you can tell that the shows now - with them headlining :) - are much much tighter. Also with a deeper catalog the set lists are all the more dynamic.............................just a great sound and highly recommend catching any of their upcoming gigs.......second leg of the fall tour starts up in december pretty much out west - think they said Europe the beginning of next year, another US tour in the Spring/Summer and then Australia toward the end of the Summer..............nice!

so we spent a weekend up in boston with them and then here in dallas and austin a couple weeks later - still in floating down to reality mode as it was a couple great weeks...........what I like about them personally is that they are all really good normal down home folks - feel lucky to just know them - and to hang and party!!! :p

in boston we were happy to host them in our little suite after the first night gig which was a blast - way better than ever imagined and what turned out to be a 4:30am deal with a few - so awesome!! and then the next morning we watched the red sox parade from our window, then a little in-store gig in the afternoon in the back bay followed up by gig two on saturday night.........that late eve we settled with just a few but that lasted until 2am as well - coty and I both concluded after we are getting to old for this lmfao!!

dallas was at a great venue and we were lucky enough to have the lovely VickiC join us for the eve - great seats behind the board and then a little meet n greet after the show for our guest.................we ended up running down to austin for the last gig of this first leg - it was so worth it as you could tell during the show they were all in great spirits............we all headed to the W after where I spent some great time with the guys from Quiet Life - their opener and another act I would recommend - have been listening a lot to their new release Wild Pack which is very very good! anyway another later night affair with hugs as tehy all headed off for their little ten day break.....

all in all just some great times with a great band - the sound as mentioned is just fantastic with the harmonies still spot on the jams tremendous with tyler smashin leading the way and the lyrics as poignant as always! really recommend these guys a ton!!

Marcel likes this.
  2. davidcotyalex

Attached files [​IMG]

3. davidcotyalex

Attached files [​IMG]

4. davidcotyalex

Attached files [​IMG]

5. davidcotyalex

Attached files [​IMG]

6. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

Well, you know I agree with you! I've loved them since their first album, but after seeing them live this month, I have become obsessed! Their show was one of the top concert experiences I've ever had, and that is saying a lot!

7. davidcotyalex

I certainly do!!! I hope you know that despite the bus breaking down en route from Philly - and them almost not even making the gig - it was largely considered the best gig of the tour so far!!! Several talked about how great the crowd was so very well done!!! They had an adventurous first month........jonathan busted his chin in some drunken revelry on the bus out of toronto and ended up at a buffalo hospital at 3am getting six stitches..............:(

but yes they are another one that really brings it every night - josiah and tyler bring a great energy and really move the rest of the band - and now with that catalog the set lists move decently between shows so it is fun to tour with them...........good news is we will get them again hopefully somewhere close in a few months..................:cool:

8. RosalieEP

I know that every band says how much they love that crowd wherever they are, but they seemed to truly mean it that night. Their performance wasn't flawless, but the joy, passion, and energy was perfection. I hope that means that they'll keep coming back! I found a YouTube video taken by someone standing behind me, and I'm cracking up at my arms waving like I'm at some nutty religious ceremony. I certainly wasn't alone, though. The roar of the crowd was so loud it nearly wrecked my ears more than standing in front of the speakers did. It reminded me of a Gator game, except with 87,000 people less.

9. davidcotyalex

lol on the 87k!! that is awesome - the crowds at each show/venue were all very good but yes they did specifically mention raleigh so must have been a blast! great that you made that one!! if I was planning a tour I would definitely do a gig somewhere in that area.........and raleigh seems like the best option I think. been listening to one of the band's favorites this weekend - my morning jacket - love their new album! check it out if you haven't.........happy sunday!

10. RosalieEP

I'm telling you, I've been very impressed with NC concert crowds! I've been to concerts in eight different states, and NC crowds have been consistently awesome. I picked a great state to move to!

11. tony

tony Active Grayhead

hey dca, are there any news on ray lamontagne (sorry, little off-topic) or has he retired?

12. RosalieEP

Excellent question!! I had to look that up and saw that he does have at least one performance scheduled in 2014. I started another thread on him so that other fans of his can find this easier. LOVE him!

13. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Hi guys, last night I was falling asleep listening to NPR's World Cafe and this song came on and my ears really perked up. Been hearing their music alot now on NPR, World Cafe and Acoustic CAfe. Really liking this group. I love how people share other music here and my taste seems to match up. Except for maybe that Ford guy................(she said teasingly:p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo0UfKqwB94 If the link isn't there the song is "Another Story" from their new album Lets Be Still

14. davidcotyalex

lol on ford! yes thath are soaring to greatness - they just played jay the other night while doing two gigs at the wiltern

timely on another story.............the lead singer jonathan wrote it in response to newton is my understanding

they just announced a series of gigs across europe in march but the tickets are already on sale...........I would totally recommend them live - really good!

US Spring/Summer Tour to come!

thanks for the nice words too!!!

15. carmel59

good stuff!!! interview on Buzzfeed about the song

16. davidcotyalex

for the record carmel Ford actually has done exceedingly well with grayheads

I can think of at least a dozen who not only enjoy his music but are now somewhat devoted family ford fans............including marcel, rena, nevermind and many others

a bunch are coming down to the palooza - I think to a large degree because Ford is performing.......so add in vicki, spinni and christine who are all coming down

but back on topic..................josiah is actually doing a series of small gigs for those who live in the western us - check it out! and timely for him to get it all fully vetted since he is the palooza's headliner lol!!!! :happy:

Marcel likes this.
  17. carmel59

.............hmmmmmmmm, just can't seem to get Ford......one of those things.............I do though appreciate his talent.......but Josiah's voice, amazing....the depth and clarity is fantastic.

It is fun to see how tastes in music overlap here. off topic.....any Robert Plant fans here?:D

18. davidcotyalex

carmel59 likes this.
  19. davidcotyalex

and for your listening pleasure......JJ solo on the last tour :)

Main, carmel59 and Marcel like this.
  20. carmel59

Oh Yeah!!!! :joyful: