Ummmmmm Dallas hello???!!

Discussion in '2015 June July USA' started by davidcotyalex, Jul 2, 2015.

1. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

I know we have a few grayheads attending but thought would throw this hat into the ring.....with a little unique texas / dca to the title?!

looking forward to catching up and chilling...........mixed emotions on amos but whatevs

am going to request a nightblindness/say hello/alibi trilogy. that would make the night. :)

looking forward to seeing the most wonderful of all @VickiC and hopefully a hook with @indeediwill! anyone else have a great show and say hello!

cheers

Rena, XenAdmin, VickiC and 1 other person like this.
  2. indeediwill

indeediwill New Grayhead

Yea we can't wait. It's gong to be a great show. I liked the majestic venue better last time but as long as he's playing Dallas I'm very happy. I'm looking forward to the prospect of another great show print. The ones he's posted so far are fantastic.

davidcotyalex likes this.
  3. VickiC

VickiC Active Grayhead

Really looking forward to seeing DG, and of course @davidcotyalex and Maria!!

4. davidcotyalex

who is XenAdmin??!! wtf?!

5. Rena

Rena Admin Staff Member

Lol. That's our tech/software/you-name-it wizard Mr M's disguise when doing technical stuff : ))

All good. Hope you all enjoyed the show!

6. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Alibi! Uploaded by Snelly! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  7. indeediwill

indeediwill New Grayhead

Good show last night. Overhear him talking to some other people waiting for autographs last night. And he said that the next tour is going to be just him solo!!
    Any one have any guesses on what he started to play during the oncore but said he didn't remeber the words to? Rebecca's guess is "lullaby".

Main and nevermind like this.
  8. VickiC

VickiC Active Grayhead

Hi, @indeediwill - it was Lead Me Upstairs! David, Tim and Robbie came out and played TYL, then when the rest of the band came out and he got his guitar, he strummed the guitar and sang, "I care little for my body she said," then started laughing and said, "I can't sing that, I don't remember the words!" Oh, it was so close!! Then he sang Babylon.

Lot of fun last night. I enjoyed Amos's set. He was sooooo s.e.x.y!! There were a couple of songs I could have done without, but for the most part I liked him. But David was, of course, the highlight. And wow, I loved Used Cars. Any night with Alibi and Nightblindness is a good night for me :)

Loved hanging out with DCA and Maria, and it's always a treat getting to visit with Tim. I saw John Smith and didn't tell him, but I thought his guitar work on Sail Away was awesome. It really added to a tired song for me.

wolfie, nevermind and carmel59 like this.
  9. davidcotyalex

Ok here we go............

I must admit when i got the call asking what did I think of a co-headline with Amos a la Ray my first instinct was no..........I am happy to report that my instincts remain true and awesome thank you very much

but as one who has trudged through a half century of carrying on I was refrained in my response and therefore threw it out at least to the facebook crowd that is composed of friends, colleagues and lots of music folks (I should have taken notice that none of my music friends responded...not a single one)

but from my friends I got a reasonably well show of support so I said wtf whatever works to the question (I was just ok with the ray tour - personally anything that takes away from dg's efforts on the eve doesn't get my overwhelming endorsement - i get it bigger venues more sales wider distribution etc etc etc etc etc whatever)

well unfortunately for me - and sorry to those that are groovin on him - hey my wife loved him but purely because she thinks he is hot and his hips move nicely - but he confirmed what my suspicions were and that is I find him totally disingenuous - while i liked his opening song he then went from reggae to a willie nelson tribute to a blues number to a cranberries' cover to finishing up with three wonderfully talented sisters on like fricking yukalalees but seriously?!! dude in my opinion didn't really have any truly real original material but again maybe just me

so anyhoo after a few songs of that sheite we retired to "the club" and enjoyed a little pre-game courtesy of wolfgang puck catering I might add - not bad....a better way to take in Amos lol

[​IMG]

but also just as with Ray there were definitely two distinct crowds.....not meaning to harp on Amos too too much but his fan section obviously didn't care to stick around for dave and the boys...fecken losers!

[​IMG]

and to the two drunk as heck couples that were seated behind us go **** off yes your boy was the OPENER! they changed it up on a couple gigs like Red Rocks out of courtesy but please....I knew they were going to be trouble from the moment they started that sheite so switched spots with Maria and we then proceeded to move up a row straight in front of us but could still hear their annoying and selfish banter - the only comfort was I knew they would be gone at 10:15 because at least they had a driver that they arranged for a pick up so they only made it through like the first four songs or so. of course after each song one of the girls thought it funny to ask for babylon. at one point one gal was actually snorting in between laughing so loud. good riddance.

to the show - despite their bus breaking down on the way from Amarillo to Dallas and arriving into town at 8am David was in wonderful spirits - from his posts looks like he had a great few hours at the Dallas Museum of Art - after my oh my he also had a brilliant couple minutes how outside the venue in some pool of water with all this dang rain we've been having he was just watching a mama bird try to feed her baby an insect with the slight problem that the bug was 5x the size of the baby's head lol. and then something to the effect that a heron swooped in and stole the bug lol. and then the "anyone else have any other stories?" line - great moment

set list

Birds
    World
    My Oh My
    Fugitive
    Kathleen
    Mutineers
    TOIL
    Alibi
    Nightblindness > Purple Rain
    Used Cars
    Sail Away
    PFM

TYL
    Babylon

other great banter was prior to Used Cars he threw out "who cares about set lists?!" and then a bit on how awesome Bruce is and what a great album Nebraska is followed by "wtf does he eat for breakfast?!" and then after Alibi he mentioned how stoked he is to play that in the bowl with the LA Philharmonic - that is going to be very very special for y'all attending those gigs - wow!!

highlights for me were Birds to set the tone - such a great and beautiful song - per the below looks like the same light package from Mutineers but still absolutely gorgeous throughout the show

[​IMG]

and during Kathleen he had his head blown!!

[​IMG]

the venue was great (except that it is in the middle of nowhere) and the crowd save for those two couples was tremendous actually - great positive energy lots of cheering etc etc but also no morons and very respectful - and we could finally go to a show and NOT be the oldest ones in the crowd haha :) Actually, it was a pretty good demographic mix - there were some young folks there but my suspicion is many were there for Amos.....

Fugitive was especially charged and then Kathleen gorgeous as always followed by a powerful Mutineers was a tremendous trio for me and probably the second best moments of the gig

The Used Cars cover was good - have to say was happy to get it just to let the quiet life boys know - they loooove bruce

but clearly the highlight of the night was getting Alibi and then Nightblindness back to back - so awesome and sounded fantastic - Tim on Nightblindness was just great and a different twist if I recall correctly. Hans already got the entirety of Alibi - I just decided a ways into Night that I wanted to capture some of that brilliance so enjoy.....but those two songs??!! definitely two of my top five I have to think

I wish he would throw Babylon back into the main set and make the encore's more meaningful as it has been this way the last couple tours and my one and only slight complaint....that said including toil and tyl in the sets are perfectly fine with me as those songs make us dance and hug and even a little smoochin last night hahahaha

Was good to catch up with Laurence and Trevor - he claims the last I saw him was 2011 but it seems longer?? anyhoo he is definitely one of the better tm's out there much like thath's dave burton - they just have it under control....

was led back into the room where I think there was going to be an intervention but then it was ultimately concluded there isn't fixing stupid so they all just high tailed it out and on the road to San Antonio....was great to see John and of course Mr Bradshaw....until the next one

[​IMG]

was good to meet ya @indeediwill and thanks for stopping by......I would be completely down with a solo tour - that would be pretty interesting

and @VickiC always a pleasure and great to have you and Emily over....funny that you had to get back to Tulsa yet were able to post before me.....slow day!! ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Rena, nevermind and Main like this.
  10. ak11

ak11 Well-Known Grayhead

Understand your comments about Amos Lee 100%, I enjoy his music and he's got a great voice, but I don't think there's much substance at all in his material.

great clip btw, shame about lead me upstairs though lol

11. nevermind

nevermind Well-Known Grayhead

Thanks so much for all your nice reviews! Much appreciated!
    Incredible how DG morphs 'Nightblindness' into 'Purple Rain'. I love it! :)
    BTW: Same feelings when it comes to Amos Lee . Not my cup of tea.

12. davidcotyalex

he is like a well polished cover band...good for weddings!!

and shame indeed!

13. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

what the heck, davidcotyalex, I saw a guy named Amos Lee in Rochester Hills, and he was fantastic! Must have been someone else!!! If I'm not mistaken, what I heard was stuff off his albums. I'm not super familiar with him, but it was good stuff. So there!!!!:woot:

14. carmel59

does this not have substance? everything he did in Rochester didn't come close what you see on YouTube. I was blown away. Interesting takes on Amos Lee.

wolfie likes this.
  15. wordsmith1313

wordsmith1313 New Grayhead

Just finished three concerts in eight days (Nashville washout, Dallas, New Braunfels), and am on a euphoric high! Loved the magical Nightblindness in Dallas... Felt more like a listening room than an auditorium.

Anyway, am new to the forum, but just wanted to share with people who will understand!

Cheers.

16. davidcotyalex

like I said @carmel59 my wife really dug on him .... I didn't so different takes for different folks

that said when @ak11 and @nevermind agree, and @RosalieEP on my FB, you have a pretty decent grayhead quorum forming haha!

17. carmel59

now you're keeping score!!! I stand alone:(

nevermind and davidcotyalex like this.
  18. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

No, you don't. I don't want to wade into a controversy ;) but I have to say that I was really impressed by Amos Lee. I am generally not in favor of anything that takes time away from DG and had zero expectations going in but I thoroughly enjoyed Amos Lee. Loved his energy, his enthusiasm, his humor - pretty much everything about him and his performance. I just really enjoyed it. Very pleasantly surprised!

19. carmel59

exactly!!!, I felt the same way going to Rochester. My husband was also very impressed. We had no expectations at all and from the comparisons, we must have seen him at his best.:D