Wexford - Wexford Opera House - Dec 9, 2013

Discussion in 'Tour 2013 in Ireland Sounding Out' started by Rena, Nov 21, 2013.

1. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

Nice Lou! Sounds awesome! Thanks for the vids!

2. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

~~So just got back in last night....songs from all the shows still ringing in my head...reviews were requested and details were requested, so here goes.
    Friday, Galway, Foy Vance smaller pub/club maybe 200 people.....really put a lot of thought into his show, played with/teased the audience all night, was real good at telling little stories behind the songs….brought his 9 year old daughter on stage to bang away on a single drum throughout the song, was really cute when she started to wear down, but she troopered through it. Here a link to a you tube of her performing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Hdk9Kgfxs Closed with a song called Guiding Light for the encore, asked the audience to sing the chorus to him instead of more applause...the whole place continue to sing ("..when I need to get home you’re my guiding light, you’re my guiding light”) as he left the stage…and the audience continued to sing out the door and into the street. You tubed it today and I guess it’s kinda what he always how he closes the show, nice touch.

Toured the cliffs of Mohr on our way south, it was a stunning drive out from Galway along the coast and then down to Kilkenny in time for the show. The wife took lots of cool pictures
    Saturday in Kilkenny was special. Getting to see him playing Gathering Dust in that sacred space was magical. I used to dance my babies to sleep to that song all the time. Don't really know why, except it's 6+ minutes long, there are a lot of na, na’s and there is a desperation in his voice that matched how deeply I was falling in love with the child in my arms. It was festival seating, managed to get to the church early and sat up front In the 4th row. It was great to see it up that close, you notice different things up close that go unnoticed further back. Like getting to get to watch Rob Malone on Nemesis, play the bass meanwhile keeping two different percussion rhythms with each foot...kicking a box with one and a tambourine with a foot pedal with the other. Amazing. Grabbed the set list off the stage.

Sunday was our only day with no show. We spent the day walking in Kilkenny touring the castle, cathedral and the pubs. We spent the night in Waterford Castle Hotel. It was the one night of indulgence in our trip. With our 25th anniversary coming up, we’re calling an early gift to each other.
    Monday we took a ferry from Waterford to the Hook Peninsula. We drove the coast down to Hook Lighthouse which is the oldest working lighthouse in the world, at 800 years old. It was interesting to see a structure that old still in use, make you wonder what we’re doing wrong tearing down our sports arenas after 40 years.

The show in Wexford was my favorite night. It’s strange too, because we sat in the absolute last row in the building. But really, the sound was much better, the lighting effects worked better further back, the artwork flash behind the band was comprehendible. So I basically discovered I shouldn’t be jealous of the folks upfront, it’s not always the best seat in the house. The set list in Wexford included Falling Free which I’d never seen him perform and Oh My, My which I’d only seen back in 2001 when it was just him and Clune in a small club in Boston. Hearing the new stuff a second time let the songs sink in a little, really liking Gulls and Cake. The version of Nemesis on this tour he has really taken it to another level bringing it to a boil at the end with his arms over his head and hands out-stretched repeatedly singing “….gates of heaven are open wide, possibilities limitless…” Only uncomfortable moment of the show came during a quiet moment in the middle of Nemesis when some guy (it had to be a guy) past gas so loud the band had to hear it, but they just played through it, while the audience cracked up sporadically throughout the venue. My wife swears there was a tiny pause, as if the David and band said..”really?” I tried to get to the stage to grab the set list but couldn’t get into the main level. Didn’t bother waiting to meet David after the show because what do say, “I really like your music…”,… awkward. Hate awkward.

Drove up to Dublin Tuesday morning took in all the sights, had a pint and off to Josh Ritter. First time I’d ever seen him, though I’d been a fan since “hello starling” came out in 2003. He just looked so happy all night, smiling, bopping around..really appreciating the audience. Someone on this site asked me for the set list, here’s a link for it on-line http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/josh-ritter/2013/vicar-street-dublin-ireland-23c47c17.html Highlights for me we’re Kathleen, Wolves, Snow is Gone, Lillian and Wait For Love. The audience was really in love with him all night and they pretty much took over a few songs. From what I gather Hello Starling was #1 in Ireland for a time.

Wednesday had one more walk down temple bar and toured Christchurch before jumping in a cab and starting to head home. Great way to see an area, tour during the day, go the gigs at night.

3. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

~~So just got back in last night....songs from all the shows still ringing in my head...
    Friday, Galway, Foy Vance smaller pub/club maybe 200 people.....really put a lot of thought into his show, played with/teased the audience all night, was real good at telling little stories behind the songs….brought his 8 year old daughter on stage to bang away on a single drum throughout the song, was really cute when she started to wear down, but she troopered through it. Here a link to a you tube of her performing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Hdk9Kgfxs Closed with a song called Guiding Light for the encore, asked the audience to sing the chorus to him instead of more applause...the whole place continue to sing (..when I need to get home you’re my guiding light, you’re my guiding light”) as he left the stage…and the audience continued to sing out the door and into the street. You tubed it today and it’s kinda what he always how he closes the show, nice touch.
    Toured the cliffs of Mohr on our way south, it was a stunning drive out from Galway along the coast and then down to Kilkenny in time for the show. The wife took lots of cool pictures.
    Saturday in Kilkenny was special. Getting to see him playing Gathering Dust in that sacred space was magical. I used to dance my babies to sleep to that song all the time. Don't really know why, except it's 6+ minutes long, there are a lot of na, na’s and there is a desperation in his voice that matched how deeply I was falling in love with the child in my arms. It was festival seating, managed to get to the church early and sat up front In the 4th row. It was great to see it up that close, you notice different things up close that go unnoticed further back. Like getting to get to watch Rob Malone on Nemesis, play the bass meanwhile keeping two different percussion rhythms with each foot...kicking a box with one and a tambourine with a foot pedal with the other. Amazing. Grabbed the set list off the stage.
    Sunday was our only day with no show. We spent the day walking in Kilkenny touring the castle, cathedral and the pubs. We spent the night in Waterford Castle Hotel. It was the one night of indulgence in our trip. With our 25th anniversary coming up, we’re calling an early gift to each other.
    Monday we took a ferry from Waterford to the Hook Peninsula. We drove the coast down to Hook Lighthouse which is the oldest working lighthouse in the world, at 800 years old. It was interesting to see a structure that old still in use, make you wonder what we’re doing wrong tearing down our sports arenas after 40 years.
    The show in Wexford was my favorite night. It’s strange too, because we sat in the absolute last row in the building. But really, the sound was much better, the lighting effects worked better further back, the artwork flash behind the band was comprehendible. So I basically discovered I shouldn’t be jealous of the folks upfront, it’s not always the best seat in the house. The set list in Wexford included Falling Free which I’d never seen him perform and Oh My, My which I’d only seen back in 2001 when it was just him and Clune in a small club in Boston. Hearing the new stuff a second time let the songs sink in a little, really liking Gulls and Cake. The version of Nemesis on this tour he has really taken it to another level bringing it to a boil at the end with his arms over his head and hands out-stretched repeatedly singing “….gates of heaven are open wide, possibilities limitless…” Only uncomfortable moment of the show came during a quiet moment in the middle of Nemesis when some guy (it had to be a guy) past gas so loud the band had to hear it, but they just played through it, while the audience cracked up sporadically throughout the venue. My wife swears there was a tiny pause, as if the David and band said..”really?” I tried to get to the stage to grab the set list but couldn’t get into the main level. Didn’t bother waiting to meet David after the show because what do say, “I really like your music…”,… awkward. Hate awkward.
    Drove up to Dublin Tuesday morning took in all the sights, had a pint and off to Josh Ritter. First time I’d ever seen him, though I’d been a fan since “hello starling” came out in 2003. He just looked so happy all night, smiling, bopping around..really appreciating the audience. Someone on this site asked me for the set list, here’s a link for it on-line http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/josh-ritter/2013/vicar-street-dublin-ireland-23c47c17.html Highlights for me we’re Kathleen, Wolves, Snow is Gone, Lillian and Wait For Love. The audience was really in love with him all night and they pretty much took over a few songs. From what I gather Hello Starling was #1 in Ireland for a time.
    Wednesday had one more walk down temple bar and toured Christchurch before jumping in a cab and starting to head home. Great way to see an area, tour during the day, go the gigs at night.

4. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

~~So just got back in last night....songs from all the shows still ringing in my head...reviews and details were requested, so here goes....won't fit in one post so this is part one
    Friday, Galway, Foy Vance smaller pub/club maybe 200 people.....really put a lot of thought into his show, played with/teased the audience all night, was real good at telling little stories behind the songs….brought his 8 year old daughter on stage to bang away on a single drum throughout the song, was really cute when she started to wear down, but she troopered through it. Here a link to a you tube of her performing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Hdk9Kgfxs Closed with a song called Guiding Light for the encore, asked the audience to sing the chorus to him instead of more applause...the whole place continue to sing (..when I need to get home you’re my guiding light, you’re my guiding light”) as he left the stage…and the audience continued to sing out the door and into the street. You tubed it today and it’s kinda what he always how he closes the show, nice touch.
    Toured the cliffs of Mohr on our way south, it was a stunning drive out from Galway along the coast and then down to Kilkenny in time for the show. The wife took lots of cool pictures.

5. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

~~So just got back in last night....songs from all the shows still ringing in my head...reviews and details were requested, so here goes...think I need break it up.

6. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

So just got back in last night....songs from all the shows still ringing in my head...reviews and details were requested, so here goes...think I need break it up. Friday, Galway, Foy Vance smaller pub/club maybe 200 people.....really put a lot of thought into his show, played with/teased the audience all night, was real good at telling little stories behind the songs….brought his 8 year old daughter on stage to bang away on a single drum throughout the song, was really cute when she started to wear down, but she troopered through it. Here a link to a you tube of her performing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Hdk9Kgfxs Closed with a song called Guiding Light for the encore, asked the audience to sing the chorus to him instead of more applause...the whole place continue to sing (..when I need to get home you’re my guiding light, you’re my guiding light”) as he left the stage…and the audience continued to sing out the door and into the street. You tubed it today and it’s kinda what he always how he closes the show, nice touch.

7. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

So just got back in last night....songs from all the shows still ringing in my head...reviews and details were requested, so here goes...think I need break it up. Friday, Galway, Foy Vance smaller pub/club maybe 200 people.....really put a lot of thought into his show, played with/teased the audience all night, was real good at telling little stories behind the songs….brought his 8 year old daughter on stage to bang away on a single drum throughout the song, was really cute when she started to wear down, but she troopered through it. Closed with a song called Guiding Light for the encore, asked the audience to sing the chorus to him instead of more applause...the whole place continue to sing (..when I need to get home you’re my guiding light, you’re my guiding light”) as he left the stage…and the audience continued to sing out the door and into the street. You tubed it today and it’s kinda what he always how he closes the show, nice touch.

8. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

Trying to get my reviews and trip recap for you guys. But I wrote once on here and the site kicked it out, then wrote on word today and can't get it to post..?
    Anyone have any ideas?

9. Ted K

Ted K Member Grayhead

That's weird, guess it was posting, just kept saying "working", then exited the site went back it and they were all there, sorry for the tripling up.

10. davidcotyalex

davidcotyalex Well-Known Grayhead

don't worry ted I know the site is undergoing a bunch of changes to improve as it was thrown together so fast - mainly just for this to be able to converse here about this irish tour...........and great stuff on your visit - loved your reality around dust!!! thanks for posting - much appreciated!

love that foy vance ending with the crowd participating.........

11. RosalieEP

RosalieEP Well-Known Grayhead

No worries about the triple post. I loved reading it! I'm a Foy Vance fan, though I've never seen him live. Love that closing with Guiding Light! As for what you wrote, especially about Gathering Dust, just perfect! Thank you so much for sharing. It sounds like a wonderful, wonderful trip!

12. wolfie

wolfie Well-Known Grayhead

Ted, great report - thanks for taking the time to come back and share with us. That Foy Vance song - David and the band came out to sing that with Foy at the end of Foy's set last year at the end of the fall tour in Baltimore. It was beautiful. Reading your account of Foy closing with it in Galway brought me right back to that moment. Thanks! Sounds like a great trip and I really enjoyed reading about it.

13. carmel59

carmel59 Well-Known Grayhead

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, I didn't see it, I thought the sound was great, love the reverb in the opera house.
    This is Sail Away, really nice

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
    JustNat likes this.
  14. Lara

Lara Member Grayhead

Thanks for setlist link to Josh Ritter! Only recently found him and I think he's just great. Right after I discovered him (thank you Pandora) I realized he had just played in my tiny little town, in a TINY little venue (also my favorite bar in town) and I had missed him! Ah well, better late than never. Thanks for all the details and impressions...perfect way to spend your b-day :)